annealing

Mash67

hi

i've been reloading for about 20 years and have never gone down the annealing route,mainly because i dont really know what its about so my questions are if anyone can help

what are the benefits

are these benefits still relevant with cheaper brass (winchestr,prvi.)

how do you do it DIY

thanks

matt

Hi Matt,

Annealing is a method of returning your brass to a slightly softer then original state by the application of heat.

After several cycles of loading and firing the brass starts to work harden and loose its elasticity to a stage where on firing or sizing the cases begin to split

After annealing the brass will be soft enough to size without splitting and its elasticity will be restored.

What you need to weigh up is, is it worth doing it to cheap brass or should you just bin it and buy new

If it was for high quality cases that cost around a quid each it may be worth going for it.

I have only needed to anneal one set of cases and they were a few years ago for my 300WSM.

I bought a rotary bearing and made up a turntable, in the middle of the turn table i placed a round luncheon meat tin half filled with water into which a single case is placed, the water level should come up to just over half way up case body

Using a blow torch in a darkened room (garage?) direct the flame onto the neck/shoulder junction of the case and rotate the table untill the case glows a very dull red.

At this point remove the flame and tip the case over in the water to cool, then remove.

Try to keep the water luke warm at all times as differing water temps will affect the speed at which the case cools.

Hope this helps mate

ATB Ian.

Archived