Re Stocks

nell

What percentage of accuracy do we put on our choice of stock??????

My 6br sits in a AICS and is seriously accurate, i have a love/hate relationship with this stock,i would use the rifle far more if it was'nt so bloody heavy, my fear is if by changing to a lighter stock it may effect the accuracy.

Any advice to a good alternative would be greatly appreciated.....

Nell

Nell,

Some random thoughts:

An AICs chassis weighs about 5.5 to 6 lbs (about the same as an AW chassis I would think); so sticking the rifle into a 4lb stock saves a whopping 2lbs at most.

In other words; your 16lb rifle becomes a 14lb rifle - not sure I'd notice the difference!

It's the 'whole rifle' that's heavy, not just the stock - take the chassis off and heft the barreled action - it's seriously heavy too; every bit of an AW is carrying extra weight. (But that's why they can do what they do whilst being as robust as girders!)

So, I think that seriously addressing weight is a 'whole rifle' thing - particularly affected by barrel profile/length/fluting.

I think that if you save 2lbs on the stock alone; you'll probably upset the balance and make the rifle feel clumsier; you'll have a weight change that's barely perceptible and you'll have spent a wodge of cash.

As I said, random thoughts :D

I have been looking at changing the wooden stock on my .308 target rifle due to the weight, going for a Staffordshire Synthetic semi bench resting stock.

I have also been thinking it might affect the accuracy, but im sure if its bedded right ect there should be no problem.

I have been looking at changing the wooden stock on my .308 target rifle due to the weight, going for a Staffordshire Synthetic semi bench resting stock.

I have also been thinking it might affect the accuracy, but im sure if its bedded right ect there should be no problem.

I wouldnt bother going to Staffordshire Synthetics if I were you.

I have had one for a couple of years now, I was asked by a rifle builder to trial one.

They good great and there are some really nice looking designs but the materials used in the construction are poor and the stocks are very flexible. The materials are also not thermally stable and if left out in the sun or a hot car you will find that you have a very flexible stock.

Nell,

Some random thoughts:

An AICs chassis weighs about 5.5 to 6 lbs (about the same as an AW chassis I would think); so sticking the rifle into a 4lb stock saves a whopping 2lbs at most.

In other words; your 16lb rifle becomes a 14lb rifle - not sure I'd notice the difference!

It's the 'whole rifle' that's heavy, not just the stock - take the chassis off and heft the barreled action - it's seriously heavy too; every bit of an AW is carrying extra weight. (But that's why they can do what they do whilst being as robust as girders!)

So, I think that seriously addressing weight is a 'whole rifle' thing - particularly affected by barrel profile/length/fluting.

I think that if you save 2lbs on the stock alone; you'll probably upset the balance and make the rifle feel clumsier; you'll have a weight change that's barely perceptible and you'll have spent a wodge of cash.

As I said, random thoughts :rolleyes:

Hi BD, this is the rifle that the card was for, it weighs just over 17lb at the moment, i hear where your comming from regarding shedding a couple of pounds, probably would'nt notice after walking 500yds,as i say its a love/hate situation, love shooting it hate carrying it :D

Its not an AW, but a re barreld rem action, 26in RPA intercepter profile barrel.

Will continue to give this some thought,as i wont be humping it around for a couple of months...

Any more views welcome....

Nell

Hi BD, this is the rifle that the card was for, it weighs just over 17lb at the moment, i hear where your comming from regarding shedding a couple of pounds, probably would'nt notice after walking 500yds,as i say its a love/hate situation, love shooting it hate carrying it :D

Its not an AW, but a re barreld rem action, 26in RPA intercepter profile barrel.

Will continue to give this some thought,as i wont be humping it around for a couple of months...

Any more views welcome....

Nell

How about a RPA GP Hunter thumbhole stock for it?

One thought, have you got biathlon straps for it? They let you wear it like a rucksack and it hangs down your spine - really makes the weight less noticeable when walking.

One thought, have you got biathlon straps for it? They let you wear it like a rucksack and it hangs down your spine - really makes the weight less noticeable when walking.

Yes i have and it does make it more comfortable, my stalking rifles are both light wieghts which makes the situation even more obvious...

Nell

I wouldnt bother going to Staffordshire Synthetics if I were you.

I have had one for a couple of years now, I was asked by a rifle builder to trial one.

They good great and there are some really nice looking designs but the materials used in the construction are poor and the stocks are very flexible. The materials are also not thermally stable and if left out in the sun or a hot car you will find that you have a very flexible stock.

Thanks for that, will look else where now cheers

I've been testing stocks and stock shapes quite a bit lately. My take is that

the shape of the stock is far more important than the weight. A lighter stock must

be as stiff as a heavier stock which means better technology and materials.

One example is my semi custom 308 with a 22" Lothar 1450 profile barrel.

It started with a heavy laminated pillar bedded sako varmint stock which weighed

almost 2kg. The rifle shot ok but was just too heavy.

Next I made a project out of the original sako walnut stock, lightened, covered with carbon

fiber and stainles pillar bedded. This weighed around 1000 grams. The rifle shot very well with

this stock but only if it was held right. The lines of the stock where not right and the rifle tended

to flip up.

I then converted one of our production howa ultralight carbon fiber stocks to fit that sako. This

stock weighs 700 grams, is internally carbon reinforced that pillars are not needed. I bed all my rifles

now with my own blend of epoxy resin and a high concentration of carbon.

Although the lightest of the lot it shoots by far the best. No more holding of the fore end, no

more muzzle flip. I don't need to concentrate as much on rifle hold anymore.

Although I don't normally do any target shooting I took part in one

little 300yd comp. All 36 rounds that where counted landed in the bull, a few v-bulls too.

Don't know if that was a high standard or not but compared to other rifles that weighed 2-3 times

as much as mine in I was very happy with the result.

edi

Archived