Taxidermy help / advice needed

Millwall Paul

I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice. I shot a nice roe buck yesterday and want to get it shoulder mounted. I caped it off straight away, well behind the shoulders to give the taxidermist enough to work with, but as he's on holiday at the moment my question is, should I roll up all the skin around the head and freeze it or what? Is there anything in particular I need to do before I freeze it? Also whats the best way of sealing the bag I freeze it in before I send it to the taxidermist? I don't know if this is in the right section but hopefully someone thats done this kind of thing before will be able to point me in the right direction. At the moment it's hanging in a chiller at 3'c.

I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice. I shot a nice roe buck yesterday and want to get it shoulder mounted. I caped it off straight away, well behind the shoulders to give the taxidermist enough to work with, but as he's on holiday at the moment my question is, should I roll up all the skin around the head and freeze it or what? Is there anything in particular I need to do before I freeze it? Also whats the best way of sealing the bag I freeze it in before I send it to the taxidermist? I don't know if this is in the right section but hopefully someone thats done this kind of thing before will be able to point me in the right direction. At the moment it's hanging in a chiller at 3'c.

Hi Paul The taxidermist I use told me to just put the head ( Fox cape rolled up) into a black bin liner and then in the feeezer untill I was ready to send it .Then put the head into a carboard box well wraped in news paper to stop it defrosting while in transit and then post. hes done a CWD and a fox head and shoulders with front legs for me with no problems. Eric

Hi Paul The taxidermist I use told me to just put the head ( Fox cape rolled up) into a black bin liner and then in the feeezer untill I was ready to send it .Then put the head into a carboard box well wraped in news paper to stop it defrosting while in transit and then post. hes done a CWD and a fox head and shoulders with front legs for me with no problems. Eric

Cheers for the advice thats pretty much what I thought I should do but it's always good to get someones advice thats been there and done it.

Mick

You really are full of surprises, any chance you could do Bin laden when they get him lol.

:D:D i actually started when i was 9..yes 9..was then taught the trade by the local taxidermist at my local museum..was even offered a job..but joined the army at 16..carried it on to about 26..havent done any since...but its now on the up with more guys deer stalking so may try take it back up one day..

Mick

Archived