Breaking a new barrel

bri2506

I have just ordered a couple of sako 85s. A .204 and 22/250. Does anyone have any rituals for running in new barrels.

I ve been told one shot then clean for 20 rounds should be enough, or do my normal trick of sighting it in, then clean every 10 rounds.

Also is there such a thing as rounds that polish the bore.

And im struggling to find some brass for the 204 ruger, any ideas

I always advise customers to run a barrel in. Its an age old argument for and against. All i can say is that i personally have never had a bad barrel that was run in properly. Match grade custom barrels require very little if any. Factory barrels require running in. I shoot and clean every round for the first 5. Then every two rounds for another ten. Then every 5 rounds up to the 50 round mark. All this takes is a couple of hours of your time, and rightly or wrongly, ensures that the barrel has the best start in life.

I would steer clear of the rounds [marketed by david tubb of all people] that "polish" the bore. A bullet coated in abrasive is the very last thing i would ever put down a barrel.

.20 brass shouldn,t be hard to find ? anyone dealing with midway or hannams can get it.

Think yourself lucky, i had one of the very first .204,s in the UK, and there was no brass in the states, never mind here. I had to fireform it from its parent case...the .222 magnum.....and that stuff is like rocking horse crap.

i did what Russel Gall told me to do

1st 5 shots ..shoot 1 clean

then every 5 shot then clean

do this up to yer 1st 50 rounds and barrel will be fine

must say tho....never had a barrel require so little in rodding with patches to be clean!!! brush dipped in solvent then the next 3 patches and 3rd one is almost spotless!!!

kreiger ....im a liking so far!!! heheheheee

sauer

Archived