Just made a Rifle-Rest - In car which runs across passenger seat

I have been having an issue with trying to find "that" position from the driving seat after being a passenger for sooooo . It was either over-stretching to a window bag or leaning over the seat and firing out of the rear window. Both do'able but i wasnt happy and it certainly showed through the trigger with a few missed Fox's.

To that end , after a little chat (brain-storming) with my neighbour i came up with a solution that i hope may in turn may offer an answer for you aswell?

My main problem was finding something that would be "easy" to take in and out of the vehicle and wouldnt damage the inside or require the normal self tappers / gaffer tape .....then, to link it someway to the cars existing fittings / interior to provide a rock-solid platform.

I used 3" x 2" wood as it was stood in the garage but i'm sure there will be a whole medium of other stuff you may have that will do the job as well or , better

The whole project hinges around using the bars / pins of the headrest to provide a substantial primary fix.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/si...iflerest003.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/si...iflerest004.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/si...iflerest002.jpg

The finished article after a little spray (krylon / fern pattern - yes , i wont give duracoat a run for their money i know!) and i have added some anti slip covering to the wood where the fore-end sits (the type you have on your dash to stop things sliding about). I have also added two pieces of wood at different heights too so i have an option for basic elevation adjustment for distance shots (or where your on an incline and you need 20 degrees etc..).

There is some cushioning fitted on the other side of rest that sits directly on the dash (see pic) to prevent any damage with the weight of your rifle) . So, in essence, its fixed via the headest pins (seat framework) and straddles across to sit on the dash. As a bonus this still allows you to rest your rifle/s butt on car floor and mod against seat.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/si...iflerest001.jpg

Rocket science it aint BUT, its works and just needs a little "tinkering" and practice but it does give you a rock steady platform....I have now developed a new shooting style that uses my left elbow on the centre console , right on the steering wheel with rifle on rest platform which is SOLID!

If you have a headrest in your vehicle then this may be the answer.......easy to construct, adjustable for all vehicles and quick to fit and stow.

Hope this helps someone else as the problem for me was a nightmare.

Happy constructing!

Gary

Guest Scotland Rifles

I made one for Vbull on the BBS with a old adjustable NHS walking stick, the alloy makes it light and easy to move around its adjustable length makes it fit in most cars, and i think bob has had it for about 3 years and still uses it to this day,

coat it with some water pipe foam rubber and away you go.

bob.

Nice idea gary, think that may be the answer to my solo lamping trips. I use a roof mounted lamp, the downside is the glare from the lamp hitting the barrel and silencer so... turning the truck broadside to the target and shooting out the passenger window solves that problem, nice!

hope you don`t mind me nicking your design but its too good not too :lol::D

ATB Matt

Guest Scotland Rifles
Nice idea gary, think that may be the answer to my solo lamping trips. I use a roof mounted lamp, the downside is the glare from the lamp hitting the barrel and silencer so... turning the truck broadside to the target and shooting out the passenger window solves that problem, nice!

hope you don`t mind me nicking your design but its too good not too :lol::D

ATB Matt

hi Matt.

being a avid night hunter i use a shroud on my lamp to help eliminate the wash of light from my roof mounted lamp.

i used some clear stiff film stuff (now covered with black tape) my oldest got from school for a home project (don't tell her i nicked it)

it works well but as like most things home made it could be done better.

worth a try mate it may help you out.

i also like Gary's rifle rest but it seems to be a bit heavy for me.

bob.

hi Matt.

being a avid night hunter i use a shroud on my lamp to help eliminate the wash of light from my roof mounted lamp.

i used some clear stiff film stuff (now covered with black tape) my oldest got from school for a home project (don't tell her i nicked it)

it works well but as like most things home made it could be done better.

worth a try mate it may help you out.

i also like Gary's rifle rest but it seems to be a bit heavy for me.

bob.

ta for that bob, I have also put a shroud on the lamp using some 3mm thick black rubber belting from the grain drier ( likewise don`t tell the farm manager I nicked it :lol: )

the estate lamping vehicle is a suzki vitara at the mo and I don`t know if it cause its so short but try as I might I can`t stop the glare off the silencer. Hopefuly the geriatric P.O.S. will go to the great scrappy in the sky soon and I can get somthing that i can see over the hedges with!

Guest Scotland Rifles
ta for that bob, I have also put a shroud on the lamp using some 3mm thick black rubber belting from the grain drier ( likewise don`t tell the farm manager I nicked it :lol: )

the estate lamping vehicle is a suzki vitara at the mo and I don`t know if it cause its so short but try as I might I can`t stop the glare off the silencer. Hopefuly the geriatric P.O.S. will go to the great scrappy in the sky soon and I can get somthing that i can see over the hedges with!

Nice one matt.

I have a vitara with a 3" lift, its the long wheel base 20l turbo diesel, it does the job for me and if i have to shoot over the hedge the spare wheel on the back makes a good seat and the roof a good spot for the bipod.

happy hunting

bob.

post-622-1280827435_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob and Matt, its not that heavy to be honest - 4.6 lbs, and given its length its quite easy to store and keep in the Shogun. Matt, feel free matey. I can honestly say its a "dreamer" to use....rock steady and keeps a perfect sight picture.. :wub:

Dragons Den here i come....do they do a Shooters Den ? :D

Gary

Hi Bob and Matt, its not that heavy to be honest - 4.6 lbs, and given its length its quite easy to store and keep in the Shogun. Matt, feel free matey. I can honestly say its a "dreamer" to use....rock steady and keeps a perfect sight picture.. B)

Dragons Den here i come....do they do a Shooters Den ? :D

Gary

Rest made, 2 foxes shot last night and 4 tidy crows with the .17hmr today. Job done :D:D

Bob, My vitara ( and I do use that term very loosly!) is a swb 1.6 petrol complete with holes in the floor and the roof a cracked exhaust and 4 slow punctures! and god help you if the heaters are on with the lamp cause if you try and put the eleccy windows down the bloody thing stalls.... as the boss says "its so quite, must be perfect for creeping up on things" this man has never tried to shift 15, 8 foot long release pen post in a suziki :wub::D

Guest Scotland Rifles
Rest made, 2 foxes shot last night and 4 tidy crows with the .17hmr today. Job done B):D

Bob, My vitara ( and I do use that term very loosly!) is a swb 1.6 petrol complete with holes in the floor and the roof a cracked exhaust and 4 slow punctures! and god help you if the heaters are on with the lamp cause if you try and put the eleccy windows down the bloody thing stalls.... as the boss says "its so quite, must be perfect for creeping up on things" this man has never tried to shift 15, 8 foot long release pen post in a suziki :wub::D

nice on Matt.

i had the 1.6 petrol short wheel base and you are right its so quiet its scary.

anyway im off to stroke my newley fixed .20tactical,

good shooting all.

bob.

Archived