neautralizing solvent for the bore??????

quick question? who all uses some type of slovent like alcahol to neautrilize the bore after using an amonia based cleaning solvent like bucthes bore shine? I have seen people mention this lately and I have never done it, I use butches or montana extreme 50 bmg when I have shot alot of rounds and I usually just clean with the solvent and patch it out and then put an oily patch down the tube, if you do use another neautrilizing solvent what is it? I was never at all sure if this was necessary but with a new tube getting put on my rifle I want to make sure I make a good start.

Guest varmartin

I am not a chemist so do not know what will `neutralize` amonia, but this is what i do...

After cleaning the bore with either Butches or shooter choice, I soak a patch in carb/brake cleaner and patch out till dry.

Then add a drop or three of Butches gun oil to a patch and push thru the bore followed by 2 dry patches.

Then before shooting next time patch out again.

I have noticed the Butches gun oil changing from red on the patch to yellow if copper remover is in the bore ???

NOTE..I have added a small amount of Kroil to my Butches solution as i find this helps remove carbon and copper in the bore at the same time lessoning the work done.

Both my factory sako and krieger barrels show very little if any copper and clean up with ease.

Martin

• 2 months later...

Craig,

Varmartin has it right I think. There is a very interesting paper by Speedy Gonzalez in the VHA magazine, highlighting the steps in barrel cleaning and he always dries the bore with carb cleaner after finishing each operation (get carbon out, patch with carb cleaner. Soak with copper remover, patch out, dry with carb cleaner. Push oily patch, a couple of dry patches, put rifle away).

I sometimes will flush the barrel with carb cleaner before getting the carbon out, particularly in my .17HMR, as it is a b'*+$rd to clean. It seems that the initial flush with the carb cleaner helps this step. Just make sure it does not enter the action/bedding, as it may damage it (as it will anything plastic).

good luck

Finman

Archived