Satisfying day in difficult conditions

Si-Snipe

Hi guys

Just thought I would make my debut post by telling you about todays shoot. The wind was blowing 14-26mph on the moors. Armed with my Howa .204, I found a spot where I had the wind at quarter value left to right and started the shooting off with a 267yd rabbit sat nicely against some heather. The next was straight forward at 210yds. I then spotted one at 339yds sitting facing towards me. I estimated the windage and dialled in 1.5MOA as there was some limited shelter along the bankside. The shot landed 3" downwind side of the rabbit (elevation perfect) and with the strong wind it didn't move. The shot was exactly one mil dot away so I allowed for it using the reticle and sent the next shot which catapulted the rabbit backwards.

I then moved to a different spot more exposed to the wind but where there were more rabbits. I spotted a rabbit at 372yds. The wind was now full value left to right 18-22mph average. I dialled in 5.25 MOA and sent the shot which again landed just downwind by 2". I dialled added another MOA (total - 6.25MOA) and sent over the next shot which collapsed the rabbit on the spot. Very satisfying. Incidentally that windage was approx 25"! :) On the bank further down wind I spotted some more rabbits at 340yds. I took off 1/2MOA and sent the shot - it landed just over the top (depending on diection the wind often lifts the bullets as I am shooting accross valleys on moorland), the windage was spot on so I removed 1 click of elevation and sent the shot - direct hit. :lol: Further accross the bank was another rabbit at the same range so leaving on the now set 5.75MOA I sent the shot - direct hit again just as my friend was pulling up in his jeep behind me. I told him of the windage required and the shots taken which made him smile as much as I was. I then spotted another rabbit at 322yds, took off 2 clicks of windage, adjusted the elevation, sending the shot the rabbit smashed over without a twitch.

This has been some of the most satisfying rabbit shooting due to the extreme wind posing such a challenge.

Thanks for sharing the experience.

Si

Well done mate,

Good write up,,, As i have said for a long time the only way to learn the wind is to go and play in it,,,

I hear a lot of people going on wind reading courses and paying good money to do so, but they would be better off spending the cash on more powder and bullets and going out and play,,,,,

Think of the wind as your friend, not your enemy!!!!!

Good hard data, and a good log book, will help you no end,,,,,

Have faith in your rifle,,,,

As you have said it is not the amount of rabbits that has been shot but the quality of the shots??

Well come on board ;):D

Darrel ;)

Darrel ;)

Darrel you didnt say this to me when i last seen you ??... :D

But like darrel says practicing it in all conditions with a good rifle and good load does pay of in the end...

Well done.

Mick

Darrel ;)

Darrel you didnt say this to me when i last seen you ??... :D

But like darrel says practicing it in all conditions with a good rifle and good load does pay of in the end...

Well done.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Did Glens last week after updating i snipe,,,

Only missed one gong from 495 to 810, due to a bad wind call "Bugger"

Well at least it was not raining?????

The best thing is that chrono,,, it is bob on the money?????

Take care, See you soon,,

Darrel

Guest richness
Good write up and very good shooting. You must have confidence in your setup and can obviously use it to great effect.

Yep Si is a very talented marksman. And the more he trusts his kit, the better he gets. I've never seen anyone switch between holding off and dialling with such natural ease. And those fells where he has his shoot are so tricky; the wind is a difficult mistress up there!

Nice shooting mate gota put my hands up its something i dont do a great lot of shooting in windy conditions

Archived