Fox lower jaw

Alycidon

A couple of months or so ago you will remember that Vermincerator got his first fox. As a momento for him to hang above the headboard (not!!) I went and picked up the skull today. Almost all the meat has gone.

This was a young cub, about 3/4 grown. The bottom jaw is in two seperate halves, these do not appear to have fused together. Is this normal?, I am sure I have seen skulls before many many years ago with a full lower jaw but I suppose these may have been badgers.

A

A couple of months or so ago you will remember that Vermincerator got his first fox. As a momento for him to hang above the headboard (not!!) I went and picked up the skull today. Almost all the meat has gone.

This was a young cub, about 3/4 grown. The bottom jaw is in two seperate halves, these do not appear to have fused together. Is this normal?, I am sure I have seen skulls before many many years ago with a full lower jaw but I suppose these may have been badgers.

A

Hi mate. Think its cos the fox is still growing and the ends of the bone have not hardened over. There would have been soft cartiledge between the two halves which has gone, being soft tissue.

As we grow the ends of our bones are in a soft state to allow for growth. When we reach the age of about eighteen, this turns harder and the bone ceases to grow longer. Foxes would be the same. Hope this helps.

Andy.

Archived