Any Divers out there

lancslad

Hi mate yep done a bit and I used to do Sat/habitat welding .

Did a couple of dives there some years ago for fun ,

The best was a Ship called the Florence which I think was about 50ish meters, was using trimaix so had plenty of time down there but then a fair while decom. You can do it on Scuba/air but you wont have much time down there.

What sort of depths are you into, I was a depth junky for a while but then found out I had more fun in 20-30m as you had more time and not so dark,

The only thing I will say is there are some very strong currents there so just take care.

Hope you get good Viz and no bends.

Good Luck

ATB Andy

Theres meant to be a very good place to go diving in Wales, I believe the bay is called Abbercastle. We stayed there a few years back and it was swarming with divers. From what we were told you can walk out of the bay into deeper water and there's wrecks either side. The divers we spoke to said it was fantastic.

Hi mate yep done a bit and I used to do Sat/habitat welding .

Did a couple of dives there some years ago for fun ,

The best was a Ship called the Florence which I think was about 50ish meters, was using trimaix so had plenty of time down there but then a fair while decom. You can do it on Scuba/air but you wont have much time down there.

What sort of depths are you into, I was a depth junky for a while but then found out I had more fun in 20-30m as you had more time and not so dark,

The only thing I will say is there are some very strong currents there so just take care.

Hope you get good Viz and no bends.

Good Luck

ATB Andy

Ha ah.......yeh andy.....already had a bout of that....................bit of an uncontrolled asscent feet first in my first dry suit dive.............DICK..............my fault.

Not to mention.........the 36ppm carbon monoxide fill in Wast water....another 10 meters of 5mins and it would have been a statistic...........

Im no depth junkie..........dont see the point...........its dark and cold................happy with 35m max.

im qualified inspiration rebreather diver but not done a lot last couple o years due to 2 kids arriving!!! :lol:

but im not quitting if anything more determinned to get back to it.....group i dive with found 4 undived wrecks in last 2 yrs off our coast ( montrose angus area)

i dunnoe about area your talking bout bout try the link at the bottom below then try "features and sub click dive sites / map......maybe get some info there.

sorry couldnt help but let us know how yer dive goes!!!

www.finstrokes.com

sauer /paul

im qualified inspiration rebreather diver but not done a lot last couple o years due to 2 kids arriving!!! :lol:

but im not quitting if anything more determinned to get back to it.....group i dive with found 4 undived wrecks in last 2 yrs off our coast ( montrose angus area)

i dunnoe about area your talking bout bout try the link at the bottom below then try "features and sub click dive sites / map......maybe get some info there.

sorry couldnt help but let us know how yer dive goes!!!

www.finstrokes.com

sauer /paul

OOHHHH check you out................nice bit of kit mate. Never had a play and probably wont ever due to the price tag on them.

Photos will follow once Im back.

Will check the site out....thanks.

yep done a bit all right, nitrox, rebreather, heliox,

seen some fantastic sights in my day, and some god aweful ones, recovery work..... tango 4 type....

but due to a collapsed lung, i've had to give up, i miss it everyday... :lol:

your not gonna have much time at depth on air, but if your insured for deco stops, get a nitrox blend to speed up the outgasing..

currently got a friend doing sat in china at 300 + metres.... freeky that which promotes growth and vigour, but hes earning a mint.... :)

hope you see some nice stuff..

Ha ah.......yeh andy.....already had a bout of that....................bit of an uncontrolled asscent feet first in my first dry suit dive.............DICK..............my fault.

Not to mention.........the 36ppm carbon monoxide fill in Wast water....another 10 meters of 5mins and it would have been a statistic...........

Im no depth junkie..........dont see the point...........its dark and cold................happy with 35m max.

A close one there mate, seen a few cock ups with mixes over there years, usually to much water in the whisky lol.

Have a safe trip and enjoy,

Well that was a great trip.

Bit of NARC at 32m - which I wasnt expecting

Deepest I went was 39m, saw loads of wrecks and such like

Now got a load of shellfish in the freezer. Now like hand dived stuff.

Shame that I got a bit of a tangle with the SMB and blown off a reef by a very fast current, had to let go -----then remembered, thats why you have a knife.................... oh, and then broke the replacement reel that I bought to replace the one I let go off the following day.............TYPICAL.

nice one

pretty easy to get narked at those depths on air.....especially if your no diving regularly

safe diving nice one

all the best

sauer

being "narked" or suffer ing form nitrogen narcosis is like being slightly drunk

old name for it used to be raptures of the deep and its killed people

basically the deeper you go the more it will affect you and impair your judgement etc

its caused by the nitrogen in the air you breathe (79%) of its nitrogen!!! and it floods yer system under pressure as your pressurised by hydrostatic pressure

like booze it effects different people differntly some more than others.......if your aware of it you can sometimes just come up a bit in depth a few meters and it clears a bit.

its amazing if you do a dive on a wreck whilst breathing compressed air.........

then go do the same dive on mixed gas mixture which has less nitrogen.......it will be nothing like you remember....youll see so much more and be so much clearer in the mind....it like doing two differnet dives!!

sauer /paul

nice one

pretty easy to get narked at those depths on air.....especially if your no diving regularly

safe diving nice one

all the best

sauer

Switched to 27% mix after that one sauer..................was first dive off on the S.S Liverpool and was a deepy, was quite "nervous" on that so this probably have something to do with the "mind set".

Had a "wobbly" head and then came up a bit to "get it together".

Will have to figure out how to get some photos on here, or if anyone is on facebook, go onto QUEST DIVING CHARTERS, photos and vids are on there.

Ahh right, so thats what it is thanks for the explanation, my cousin and uncle dive and they've been on about narc, but I didn't want to ask as everyoneelse seemed to know what they were talking about. Makes more sense now cheers.

Great to hear you had a great time,

Weather has changed a little this week so you had the best I think,

If you ever get down to West Wales give me a shout , I will sort something out for you and your buddies

ATB Andy

Great to hear you had a great time,

Weather has changed a little this week so you had the best I think,

If you ever get down to West Wales give me a shout , I will sort something out for you and your buddies

ATB Andy

photos are too big to go on this page,,,,,,shame...........had a few gooduns.

Missed out on the basking sharks though, they werent down there at the time.

Just had a look at the pics of fb, which one is yourself?

The one behind the camera..........lol.......................thats the only problem. get loads of photos of your mates but never any of yourself..........

Still, I look bloody awful in neoprene............

I have done quite a bit of air diving over the years and got so obsessed that at one point I almost packed up everything to open up a dive operation in the tropics, but saw some sense in the end and left it just a hobby.

I started scuba diving basically to free up anchors from the reefs after long days spearfishing on breath hold diving, which I still do to this day. Nowadays I get a lot more out of the sport if I am free diving. I found scuba diving in this country could be quite tedious as a lot of time and effort went into organising dives for very little time actually spent diving. The BSAC club I was with at the time attracted a lot of novices, so intermediate and advanced divers almost always had to trim their dives taking into account the herds of novices that tagged along, which was a sure recipe for some boring dives.

I attended a club dive two weekends ago in Portland and for a few hours in the water came back home with around 140 scallops, 4 huge lobsters, 6 guilthead breams, 2 big bass, a few flatties and a bag of spider crabs, all caught free diving off Portland Bill. There is an abundance of fish around our shores and most people are unaware it is there for the taking. It is also a good way of staying feet and returning home with enough seafood to keep you going for a few weeks.

Any spearfishermen out there?

Best,

George

I used to do a lot of diving, i started some 25 years ago and it was a major part of my life, recreational, technical, commercial and professional. I had a large dive company in Aberdeen, which i sold a couple of years ago. I finished up as a master instructor with PADI, and an instuctor trainer / course director with TDI, DAN, IANTD. I was also a BSAC AI. I was a CCR IT for trimix, and eventually only really did instructor training and CCR courses. I also lead oversea and dive expedition trips, which i really enjoyed

I stopped diving totally when i sold the company, but recently i have started doing fun dives and video dives in rivers. These are done for the River Dee Trust, a charity to look after the river. Although they are not the best quality, and will never make Nat geo, they publisise the river and its fish, which is great. I enjoy it, and recently took my best yet. The river staff are quite delighted with it, however, i am not allowed to put it on line until the fish have moved upstream, as they really were in huge numbers and were a poaching risk.

I used to do a lot of servicing and now use the techniques i used to use on dry suits to repair anglers waders, and i do this to dive suit standards, so repairs last for years. It has developed into a fine wee business, and i have put a number of my videos on my website, just to create interest.

Dave

www.wader-repair.co.uk

Archived