585y and 750y

Guest richness

Guest richness

The 9-36x56 is the best high-mag scope in the world

But the 6-24 have a lot more competition as zeiss and swaro make sublime scopes in that mag range, unlike the high-mag range of the scope above where there are only a handful of options.

Optically, build, turret-wise, they're very top class. Finsih is poor and lacking in bling and sophistication. Eg they come in plain cardboard boxes with a photocopied manual in poor english...imagine a Nightforce, Leupold , etc coming like that!!! So their marketing dept is in a different century but by god their optics and turrets are sublime.

Bottom-line, optically, the 9-36 is better than the BRand NXS 4-12

the 6-24 is on a par with top euro glass such as Swaro and Zeiss vistory BUT has the best ret in the business, is much cheaper, has wonderful turrets.....at the mo they are bargain material all day long.

For a sweet, sophisticated, light 6-24 or 4-16, i'd prob look for a second hand Victory, but new there's no competition VFM-wise and as i say, at 9-36 mag, they're untouchable

I have to calm this down now as the USO scopes have come out and i haven't tested them so I can't say the 9-36 IOR is the best high mag scope out there. Anyone tried a high-mag USO along side an NXS or similar?

Guest richness

Thanks everyone :) Excited to get out beyond 1k this coming year. I need a 30moa rail as my R700 action has always pointed low (which can't be easily corrected by blueprinting)so even with a 20moa rail and the huge range of adjustment that the IOR 9-36 offers, I cannot get beyond about 920 (i had to use the ret to lob yesterday's 962y in) so I better get saving my pennies.

Itching to get out on the 29th again with Si-snipe. I think my missus has got me a Skywatch 4 for xmas so i'll be able to plug temp, pressure etc into the ballistic calculator to help it give me a really good idea of the wind.

Happy Xmas to all :) Richard

Hi & well done to you richness on your new 900+ yrd rabbit & thanks for your input on the IOR scope. I am awaitting a 6x24x50 comming in & cant wait to get my rifle rebarreled & start tring some 300m stuff to start with & work out to 500m etc & see how i get on with this sort of ranges. We have a few bits of steel to put out & my mate has a life size fox for setting out cant wait to try this longish range stuff & see what i can get out to.

Hi Richard

The 123 Scenar at 2950fps should only need 25moa at 1000yds. You should be comfortably within the elevation range of a scope with 75moa (IOR) at 960yds. In fact it should reach about 1150 yards without an inclined rail.

Are you sure you have not fitted your 20moa rail backwards?!!!!! :unsure: Something doesn’t sound quite right to me. With your 20moa rail and 75minutes of elevation you should be able to dial in close to 1500yds.

Your 960yds rabbit was a shot to be proud of especially at the limit of your scope adjustment. B)

I am interested to hear how RL17 performs for you with your long barrel, please keep us informed with regard to the velocities you obtain. I hope the weather holds for you on the 29th. :)

Rup

Guest richness

Hi Richard

The 123 Scenar at 2950fps should only need 25moa at 1000yds. You should be comfortably within the elevation range of a scope with 75moa (IOR) at 960yds. In fact it should reach about 1150 yards without an inclined rail.

Are you sure you have not fitted your 20moa rail backwards?!!!!! :unsure: Something doesn’t sound quite right to me. With your 20moa rail and 75minutes of elevation you should be able to dial in close to 1500yds.

Your 960yds rabbit was a shot to be proud of especially at the limit of your scope adjustment. B)

I am interested to hear how RL17 performs for you with your long barrel, please keep us informed with regard to the velocities you obtain. I hope the weather holds for you on the 29th. :)

Rup

Yeah, i know - it's maddening! Rail points downwards right?

This gun's always been a mile off...at least it isn't a windage issue - that would be even worse.

As soon as i get the RL17 loads tested (they're made and ready to go - 42 and 42.3gr) i'll post here with the accuracy and fps results :) I can't imagine the accuracy will compete with 1"@400 but if it does and is 3000fps+, well i'm going to be well chuffed :)

If the scope has 75 moa adjustment, that's only 37.5 of UP though? Either way, i'm on the stops before 22moa at the mo (with 200y zero) :( Many thanks, Rich

Guest richness

Hi & well done to you richness on your new 900+ yrd rabbit & thanks for your input on the IOR scope. I am awaitting a 6x24x50 comming in & cant wait to get my rifle rebarreled & start tring some 300m stuff to start with & work out to 500m etc & see how i get on with this sort of ranges. We have a few bits of steel to put out & my mate has a life size fox for setting out cant wait to try this longish range stuff & see what i can get out to.

Wicked man - how exciting! :D I wish you luck with it all :) Rich

Guest richness

Fantastic shooting Mate.

You have certainly got that rifle shooting sweet.

P.S ... get it on video ... It Would be nice to watch some of your shots.

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2011

Alan

Ah, Alan! well as an admirer of your youtube vids (and si-snipe certainly is) we are definitely going to try to do some vids this year. Not least because there are quite a few people who flat don't believe what we say :( We are seriously thinking of leaving in the bloopers too as we shot some vids last year and we couldn't stop laughing at them when we were playing them back, especially when i missed a straightforward 350y rabbit and swore loudly "where the f did that go?" in the middle of our trying to be all professional and cool ;)

We are seriously thinking of leaving in the bloopers too as we shot some vids last year and we couldn't stop laughing at them when we were playing them back, especially when i missed a straightforward 350y rabbit and swore loudly "where the f did that go?" in the middle of our trying to be all professional and cool ;)

I always laugh when I think of that shot. It was perfect and well narrated until you sent the shot. I don't even think you had loaded a bullet in that case - it just disappeared. :lol: Your quote was legendary. :lol:

Everyone makes misses (except Andre Georgescu :rolleyes: ) and it's nice to see on video.

See you on Wed mate.

Si

Yeah, i know - it's maddening! Rail points downwards right?

This gun's always been a mile off...at least it isn't a windage issue - that

would be even worse.

If the scope has 75 moa adjustment, that's only 37.5 of UP though? Either way,

i'm on the stops before 22moa at the mo (with 200y zero) :( Many thanks, Rich

Yes mate, the rail needs to point the scope down towards the barrel.

It does seriously sound as though you have a 10 or 15min rail mounted backwards,

it is easily done………… though I wont do it again :blush:

I would certainly check the rail dimensions before ordering another rail. A minimal

hassle, quick fix could be to fit Burris Signature rings with the adjustable inserts

which would gain you another 8 or 10moa depending on how close together you mount them.

If my calc's are correct, a 6” long 20moa rail should be about 35thou thicker at the

butt end. (.050” for 30moa)

On a rifle that shoots 1”@400yds you gotta get this right, you may be able to bash a 4”

bunny @ near 1500yds on a still day. I’d certainly call you Sir and might even doff my

cap to you if you could pull that one off. :D

Have you tried counting the total number of elevation clicks to make sure the scope is

as it should be?

ATB

Rup

Guest richness

Yes mate, the rail needs to point the scope down towards the barrel.

It does seriously sound as though you have a 10 or 15min rail mounted backwards,

it is easily done………… though I wont do it again :blush:

I would certainly check the rail dimensions before ordering another rail. A minimal

hassle, quick fix could be to fit Burris Signature rings with the adjustable inserts

which would gain you another 8 or 10moa depending on how close together you mount them.

If my calc's are correct, a 6” long 20moa rail should be about 35thou thicker at the

butt end. (.050” for 30moa)

On a rifle that shoots 1”@400yds you gotta get this right, you may be able to bash a 4”

bunny @ near 1500yds on a still day. I’d certainly call you Sir and might even doff my

cap to you if you could pull that one off. :D

Have you tried counting the total number of elevation clicks to make sure the scope is

as it should be?

ATB

Rup

Hi mate. Well it's def on the right way around, pointing down. It's not the scope as it happened on my previous scopes too. Rail is .303 at front and .456 at the back (very approx as difficult to measure on the rifle!) Used to be so bad back in the days when this rifle was factory and had 2 piece rails, that i used to have to put a little shim under the back of the rail to get the thing to zero :(

I have to calm this down now as the USO scopes have come out and i haven't tested them so I can't say the 9-36 IOR is the best high mag scope out there. Anyone tried a high-mag USO along side an NXS or similar?

Yes, (USO have been going for about that 20 years that I can remember), at the same time for a few months compared NXS 12-42x56, USO sn9 10-42x80, USO T Pal 5-25x58, USO sn3 3.8-22x44, USO 1.8-10x37 and S&B 5-25x56 PMII's. The short version, in terms of optics performance the USO sn9's blow everything else away, resolution, clarity etc, however they are not that practical except on an ultra long range set-up. The USO Tpals to my eyes were better than my S&B PMII's. The USO 3.8-22x44 gave very, very little away to the bigger objective scopes and at dust / dawn easily outperformed the 56mm NXS scopes, it also had a much better FOV than the NXS scopes at the same mag settings.

NXS scopes however during normal daylight performed just as well for target shooting as the USO sn9 scopes and are more user friendly, be it with less FOV. Mechanical function is excellent.

I compared the NXS scopes to a 12-50x56 S&B PMII, I prefered the image and FOV with the S&B scope, however the S&B feature set is not what I want. I also want to have a look at the March 10-80x56 scopes.

IOR hmmm....my CQB 4x IOR was fine, robust with a good reticule. The only IOR 9-36x56 scope I saw was at a comp and it took a dump (think a few others here will remember that too). IOR seem, in part from early scopes and from the SH (snipershide) FFP model to have aquired a reputation for good optics and unreliable mechanics.

Think I've stopped chasing the best optics for a while, a combination of NXS and USO seem to get the job done, that is until I get to play with a March 10-80x56 or unless S&B bring the 12-50x56 PMII out with an illuminated reticule and 0.1milrad clicks.

DSCN0053.jpg[/img]

David.

One of the problems with 2K+ meters with a round like the .338 lapua is getting enough elevation travel for the scope.

One solution of course is going to an external adjustment scope with long travel. The one shown below is a 9-42x58 version.(perhaps a prototype) The knob in the middle of the tube is the lit reticle option. Several reticle scales are available. There is also a 9-42x80 version for extreme high resolution shown in the bottom picture . There is no free lunch as it were and because of light attenuation by the optics, an 80mm objective is standard.

sn9-10-42x-AIAW.jpg

The final configuration 42 power version shown on 50 Caliber Bolt action is below:

976440196-1.jpg

Guest richness

What fascinating posts. I really like this forum. Not least because on the bbs someone would be jumping down my throat and getting personal because i championed the IORs (and saying that their VX2 3-9 is world class) I stand corrected. There are clearly higher-end scopes that have extremely high mag. I also didn't know that USO were an existing force in the marketplace; i thought they were really new. I do stand by what i said about the 9-36 being real good in that i think a lot of people draw the line at the sort of money that gets you into NXS but anything more is getting pretty rare. I'm intrigued though by these mega scopes and read the comparison with great interest.

Tell me, this 9-36 that took a dump...what do you mean? Mine two have been very repeatable and tough and i trust them. Did this one you saw fail in some way? That's one thing i think that sells a lot of NXS - that mega tough repeatable reliability - people love that.

80mm is a bit bonkers isn't it. But the 5-25x58 looks like a good idea. Still not 32x+ mind. There are so few scopes that can go up there (without 60mm + objectives making them impractical) and combine optics, ret, turrets and reliability. I have to say that my IOR 9-36 continues to do great work and i can't fault it in any way on the hill. You have to call it as you see it and mine have been brill.

Great photos - amazing! ATVB Richard

PS off out to do this rl17 6.5x47 testing :)

Hi Richness, the pic for size is of USO sn9 top, middle USO TPal 5-25x58 and bottom Schmidt 5-25x56.

DSCN0807.jpg[/img]

The IOR at the comp I mentioned would not hold POI and would not track, several attempts were made to re-zero it.

Really though it just shows scopes are mechnical devices - every manufacturer will make some that go wrong. Point is if you are happy with yours and it does what you want it to then lifes good.

David.

Guest richness

Really though it just shows scopes are mechnical devices - every manufacturer will make some that go wrong. Point is if you are happy with yours and it does what you want it to then lifes good.

David.

Sweet :)

Guest richness

WELL check this out!

Preliminary testing shows serious fps gains when using RL17:

37.6gr RL15 in 29" trueflite with 123 scenars gives 2965 with a spread of about 18fps

and does an inch at 400y

42.3gr RL17 gave 3115fps and an spread over 3shots of only 9fps

and a 4shots group went into a fingernail at 200y

Pressure were, if i had to take a bet, lower with the RL17 load. These loads of both RL15 and RL17 were only just starting to crater the primer. Primer is not flatening yet, certainly not flat and bolt lift is not sticky. Rifle feels smooth and not thumpy. Noise more with RL17.

This is a case full to the neck with RL17. I imagine 43 could be got in, just about, if you're happy to compress it a bit.

I know i only fired 3 over chrony and only 4 at target but these are seriously exciting early results: 150fps gain! I plugged it into the ballistic calculator and it drops whole minutes less out at 700+ yards :D

Wow - result

I had an idea it would be a good performer in this cartridge.

I have put a few over the chrono with my .308 and the results were very, very good.

I do think that the longer barrels will perform best with this powder, stick to the

RL15 for 24" and under.

The fact that you noticed the shots being louder probably mean that if you could

squeeze more powder in, it would only result in muzzle flash

:D :D :D .

TPAL 3.2-17x44 on M40A3 clone. This one has Horus Lit H-25 in it.

006-3.jpg

H-25 reticle with mil matrix and side scale in moa for range estimation of inch sized targets.

H25.jpg

Guest richness

Wow - result

I had an idea it would be a good performer in this cartridge.

I have put a few over the chrono with my .308 and the results were very, very good.

I do think that the longer barrels will perform best with this powder, stick to the

RL15 for 24" and under.

The fact that you noticed the shots being louder probably mean that if you could

squeeze more powder in, it would only result in muzzle flash

:D :D :D .

Interesting; i'll test in more detail over the next week or so and we'll see how it goes :) Happy New year to all :)

660 yrds kill is the best iv shot with my .204 :)

Archived