.243 barrel length

I've just put in for a variation for a .243 and paid a deposit on a rifle. It's not screwcut so will need to have the front sight cut off before it can be done. How short can I take it and still get 1700ft-lbs from it? I don't need it to run 100grn bullets for Scotland as I have bigger rifles for that and most of its use will be Foxing from a vehicle (hence I want it short!).

Can I go down to 18", or is that pushing things? I don't want to ruin it but wouldn't mind taking a bit off.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks for the info Neil. Supposedly the .243 loses an average of about 30fps for every inch cut so another two wouldn't be a huge issue with those figures assuming my rifle would run the same speeds? I can only assume it would be similar, although max load varies between rifles?

Does anyone else have a short barrelled .243? The new RPA woodland stalker is really short and supposedly that works ok?

That was an interesting article, cheers. I was surprised at how some factory ammo didn't meet the minimum energy requirements for larger Deer. I wonder how many "buy a gun and some bullets and get on with it" type stalkers are unknowingly breaking the law?

Archived