First kill with .220 swift

RETIC80

Hi all, this is my first post since i've joined, and just like to say what a great forum this is!

Anyway, i went out and waited on light this morning on some newly cut silage fields.

Started to drizzle, and wind picking up and getting late around 6.30am.

Went back to where i parked up the landy, and heard a crow shouting the next field away.

Then a fox came into view around 200yds away, trotting out to the middle of the field.

Got rifle on the bonnet with bipod, and followed it through the scope until it presented a suitable safe shot.

The fox stopped to my squeak, stood side on roughly 130 yds away, i aimed just right of its shoulder and squeezed of my shot.

I managed to see it drop for a split second before i lost the sight picture.

Paced out to pick it up, 126 yds.

A nice vixen. Bullet exactly where i aimed.

This is the first kill i have had with this rifle, only its 8th shot since zeoring yesterday, so am pretty pleased!

Its a remmy 700 vssf2 .220 swift.

Got a wildcat mod on it, which makes a real difference in both sound reduction and balancing the rifle out so you can see shot strikes.

Iam using up my 50gr normas, and will try some federal vmax 40gr soon.

Just thought i'd share with you all, all the best Jake.

Well done on christening your new rifle - the .220 Swift is quite a calibre. I had a Remmy 700 VS in 220 Swift a few years ago, before the days of freely available centrefire sound moderators. It was quite strident!

You could pretty much point and shoot out to 300 yards plus which I liked, but you had to be careful how you stacked the mag so as not to get feed jams. Mine loved Norma factory ammo, though I also reloaded.

Cheers guys, am working on pics.

Anyway, went out this evening to wait on the same field that i shot the vixen on this morning,

was hoping that a dog fox may show or cubs.

Got into position under an oak tree, looking into the silaged field, had a good view of a nearby wood and surounding fields.Wind blowing fairly well, towards my position.

Sat there for around an hour and a half, and at about 10pm, decided to have a quick call before i packed up due to failing light.

Started calling on a hand call, distressed rabbit, for around 10 mins.

Suddenly picked up movement to my right on the hedgerow, here comes a fox hammering in to my call.

Got the rifle moved into position, it kept running in, despite me now having stopped calling, and then stopped in its tracks to my click click with my mouth, placed cross hairs on its neck and squezed my shot off.

Again, saw the fox crumple to the shot, with a thump!

Paced out to 70 yds.

It was an old vixen, so am pleased, will save a few poults, and this one could have been a lamp shy fox we have been seeing around recently.

No exit wound, and the fox rattles!!

Pretty good day if i say so myself!!

Look forward to sharing more exploits with you all, cheers for now lads, Jake.

Welcome Jake glad to see your a fox shooter as well, theres a fair few of us on here who have nailed the odd one or two ,

Good write up there ,keep em comming and try and get some pics up as well,

All the best NEM.

WELL DONE :rolleyes: them vmax 40gr will be moving ..

Archived