sporting or vermin

dogfox

After the tragic advent at Cumbria. The media are asking why a man who lives in a terrace house could own such guns and the reason that he had these guns was for vermin shooting and he was not a land owner or a farmer. It is the same old story after any shooting

Is it not time that we try to educate these people that we own these guns because we like hunt with them and that it should be for sporting reasons that we own these guns.

Yes we do help farmers and land owner control pest species but we have to honest here that we own these guns because we like to hunt with them.

Is it not time that we should have sporting reason entered as a valid reason to own these guns if you want to hunt with them.

What do you guys and Ladies think.

After the tragic advent at Cumbria. The media are asking why a man who lives in a terrace house could own such guns and the reason that he had these guns was for vermin shooting and he was not a land owner or a farmer. It is the same old story after any shooting

Is it not time that we try to educate these people that we own these guns because we like hunt with them and that it should be for sporting reasons that we own these guns.

Yes we do help farmers and land owner control pest species but we have to honest here that we own these guns because we like to hunt with them.

Is it not time that we should have sporting reason entered as a valid reason to own these guns if you want to hunt with them.

What do you guys and Ladies think.

Its all in the same Dog. However, I dont think that I would put it the way that you have.

I had a varied conversation with somone on Facebook the other day, shorlty after the event after they posted ban all guns.

Was then lambasted by various others for shooting, of course, most of them were lovely happy meat eaters who like to wrap their meat up in fluffy containers from tescos etc.

Why do I go out shooting poor defenceless animals.....because its free range etc etc and that Im not ashamed of killing my own food.

I enjoy shooting, its a skill, I enjoy hunting, its a challenge. I have my guns because thats what I chose to do.

I dont hunt for SPORT...............

Why is it okay for us to say that we enjoy shooting and hunting yet so wrong to say that we enjoy killing animals?

Surely when we say we enjoy hunting its the same thing, does not hunting result in a dead animal?

I personally enjoy shooting rabbits at long range with a C/F rifle, its not hunting and i do regard it as sporting, i also shoot rabbits and fox's to control the population and occaisionally rabbits and pigeons for the pot, i enjoy this emmensely as well.

I dont think there is anything wrong in telling people that we actually enjoy what we do, after all if i did not enjoy it i would take up something else which i could enjoy.

Ian.

As you get older the desire to kill does fade significantly, several friends who i have shot with for many years have given up. I don't do anywhere near what I used to, other than pheasant shooting where things are starting to pale a bit as one 35 yard driven pheasant is much like another one. As for lamping, maybe half a dozen sessions a year these days, years ago it was one night a fortnight or more..

I would love some more rabbits to shoot but alas have almost none, except in two small patches, I nail foxes, crows, magpies to protect my pheasants and don't miss many. My family are all girls, both my daughters can shoot shotguns and rifles moderately well but they cannot understand the satisfaction that is to be derived from a well placed shot be it from rifle or shotgun when delivered onto a living animal.

A

All my familly know that I shoot - mainly deer but occasionally rabbits and foxes. They all love venison but hate the fact that I kill it and enjoy stalking. When I point out that it seems a bit of a biased oppinion they just say they're entitled to their oppinion and too share it with me. I think that's fine but they don't get venison from me now, as I'm sick of being told by them what I do is wrong then in the next breath being asked by the same person for haunches, stewing steak, sausages etc.

I've argued at work with colleagues that think killing any animal for food is wrong - they're vegitarians. When I went to their house they had a lovely leather 3 piece suite and all had lovely leather shoes jackets etc. When I comented that if they were so against people eating meat and killing animals for food why do they buy the by products i.e. leather? If it wasn't for people eating meat they wouldn't have there sofa jacket shoes etc or if they did the animals would have been killed just for their skin. They don't complain about what I do now.

Why is it okay for us to say that we enjoy shooting and hunting yet so wrong to say that we enjoy killing animals?

Surely when we say we enjoy hunting its the same thing, does not hunting result in a dead animal?

I personally enjoy shooting rabbits at long range with a C/F rifle, its not hunting and i do regard it as sporting, i also shoot rabbits and fox's to control the population and occaisionally rabbits and pigeons for the pot, i enjoy this emmensely as well.

I dont think there is anything wrong in telling people that we actually enjoy what we do, after all if i did not enjoy it i would take up something else which i could enjoy.

Ian.

Because its not quite PC Ian.

Because its not quite PC Ian.

So because its not PC we have to keep it hush hush and not mention the unmentionable?

Why should we feel like we practice some kind of illegal underground activity and not a perfectly legititmate sport?

I feel that many shooters are actually embarressed about what they do and feel uneasy about telling people such, not me, i am completely open and if asked i tell it as it is, warts and all.

If people dont like it thats their problem not mine.

Ian.

Archived