Badgers and foxes

Alycidon

We have a lot of badgers on my ground, a lot. Maybe 6 weeks ago I was poking about looking for fox cub evidence as you do. I visited a set of holes where last year I set Vermincinerator up for a few. I watched four little badgers, about a foot long playing in the evening sunlight, so I thought no foxes there this year.

Nearer my home I have a cunning vixen I cant nail yet, she was sometimes laying up away from her cubs in a very large badger set and at other times in a large block of rape. I waited over her cubs for 2 weeks before getting fed up and nailing the cubs, she was coming in after dark. So I was after a few rabbits to lay out as bait with a view to getting Ian in next week to do the buisness. I dont have many rabbits except in one small patch, I crept in and had two nice head shots at about 120-140 yards with my un modied 20BR. I am just about to move forward and pick them up when two large fox cubs appeared out of the same set of holes where I saw the little badgers a few weeks ago, maybe 70 yards from my prone position. Talk about the right place at the right time, one sits sown and looses most of his head to a sideways on 50gr Berger, the other one went to ground.

So two points really, one is that this is an average size set, maybe 10 big holes, I have never known the young of badgers and foxes to occupy the same earth. I saw no fresh evidence of badgers and I am pretty sure they have moved out. I know that adult foxes will live in earths that are also occupied by young badgers. The second is that this fox had two rounds past his earth then came out to investigate, makes you wonder sometimes !!.

A

ALYCIDON-i was watching an earth last tues evening it had 6 cubs in it .the same area is riddled with badger holes and there are at least 5 badgers residing now, the cubs were coming from an old badger sett that i suspect is linked to the residing sett the holes are 2 feet apart and the cubs were coming and going when 2 badgers were out feeding in the same field.

i have come across this before but not so close to one another.

after all my waiting the vixen was dispatched on wednesday and the dog thurs the cubs have been sorted.

Archived