My first Buck.

Ahhhh..........at last, the duck has been broken and the buck has been taken.

Had this guy on friday evening, my plan of action was to head up to scotland friday afternon, get a stalk in and then hit the ground seriously saturday morning.

I had a bit of a drive around and stalked a small section of woodland but to no avail, nothing around so I headed a bit further up onto the hill where I havent been before.

Having a look on the map, I found a nice little section of land where there was some restock boarding a grass field, a quick drive up in the car, a park up and a bimble up a track and I was over the wall.

A nice little hillock overlooking some restock, think Ill have a lie down and wait, rifle onto the bipod and all was set. The wind was blowing across my front, right to left, away from the area I was "sniping", should be in with a chance.

An hour later, nothing had come around, I chose to move, up against the wall towards a small copse, over some boggy ground and turn right. Towards another hillock, looking into the restock up a little valley with views to the left along the wall and back to the right where I had just been.

Careful not to sky line myself, I set up, bipod up, rangey out, 100meters to a bush, 135 to a couple of dead trees. 235 meters to the far right arc, 205 meters to the left arc where a prominent bush was hanging over a wall.

Another hour or so passed, why did I chose to wear contact lenses again,,,,,,,,,,they play havoc with my eyes and I have problem focusing, but at least they dont steam up.....Binos scanning left and right. Back to the left, hold on................

Buck.....................no need to get the rangey out, he was up on his legs nibbling the bush. 205 meters. Should I stay or should I go now.

I had no chance of a clear shot, the wall was blocking out his body, All I could see whas the top of his back and his neck. I wasnt chancing a neck shot at that range, not with a small window of opportunity, too much cover. If he was over the other side of the wall it would be a different story. Shall I stalk into him. No chance, between me and him a wall, above that wall there was metal wires, no chance of getting over those without making a racket.

Lets just sit still, wait for him to move, he might come into the area where my main "kill zone" is. 30 mins later, nothing.

A couple of does came into the area, dont think my luck is going to be in tonight, Ive got about 30 mins of light left...........I watch the does for a while, about 5 mins. Although it feels like 30. Binos down and look to the left.

How do they do it, they appear from no where. Double check on binos, yep, hes got antlers. By now I had started to get a bit chilly, shivers, but I was onto the rifle. Steady the breathing and the shivvers, and wait, no shot.

His arse was towards me, plausible neck, but no, just wait, hold your shot....hold it, he will move.

Couple of steps, forwards, moving away from me up the hill, arse still in my face. He turns right, angle to steep to take the shot, still chance of a neck but no............wait.........wait wait........

Broad side, breathe. Bang. Who says you never hear the bang. Jesus that was loud, the sound reverbing back from the valey towards my little hillock. The round hits "Thump" the beast shakes, a leg kicks out and it drops. Its in its throes, I watch for what feels like an age........REMEMBER TO RELOAD shouts in my head, a quick cycle of the bolt and another 70 Grain Speer Softpoint is chambered. Legs kicking and he gets back up. I aim back into the kill zone, but he just drops.

Back down again and my crosshairs are onto to him, but he has gone. No more movement.

I hold for a couple of mins, pick up my gear and go to collect my prize. A bit of a drag and onto the grallock.

Shot placement wasnt perfect, the entrance wound was too far back. he wasnt fully broadside, the round had obliterated its spleen, entering through 1 lung but missing the heart completely. There was a lot of blood inside the cavity. but still, he was down, the round had done the job, not as perfect as I would have liked but still it was job done.

I have been really impressed with these 70 grain .223s and anyone who thinks that you just have to have a .243 to shoot roe may want to look at this calibre.

I would love to have the head mounted, but the wife wont have any of it. So I have just removed the head and will be having the antlers mounted instead.

Im 5 deer behind the "top gun", but I say its quality, not quantity.

Needless to say, I didnt stay the full weekend. Happy with the 1 and back home to the wife and kiddies.

well done...whens the book coming out :) nice write up

Lancs Lad.

Well done on a most excellent and honest write up and thanks for sharing it with us. Was like being there with you.

How much addrenalin was pumping when you pushed the safety off and realised it was game on?

It is very addictive no? :D

My wife draws the line at skull mounts too. No sense of humour ;)

NICK.

That's a beauty for a first buck, well done.

When you say you dont hear the bang, that buck certainly didn't hear it......

As for mounts, i must be a lucky bugger having my own gun room :D and the grandkids are told they are not allowed in the east wing as that's grampies special room :D:D (i did have my 14 month old grandaughter watching me prep a bucks head the other day, much to the annoyance of my daughter ;) )

Lancs Lad.

Well done on a most excellent and honest write up and thanks for sharing it with us. Was like being there with you.

How much addrenalin was pumping when you pushed the safety off and realised it was game on?

It is very addictive no? :D

My wife draws the line at skull mounts too. No sense of humour ;)

NICK.

Nick, Ive touched one this subject before, "buck fever". I just dont seem to get it. I dont know why but Im happy I dont. My mind just goes "in to the zone" no thoughts running through shouting at me. Theres no rush of adrenalin of sorts, there is "remorse" if you can call it that and I do "thank" each beast and give it a pat.

When Im about to shoot, my head goes "clear" and I just concenrate on the cross hairs, as soon as they are on the target its squeeze. I wont watch the animal through the scope waiting, I pull off the scope and view it at distance and I think that helps. Once its moved off or gone broadside and is shootable, its head back down, on, up, pull...............wait 50 hours.....or so it seems, remember to reload.......what is probably in reality 5 seconds.

As for the head, one of the lads has boiled it up, Ive just ordered my shield, hes bleaching it now and should get it mounted over the weekend.

Just need to find somewhere to put it.......Will probably end up in the gun shop with the other lads from the syndicate.

Lancs Lad

You obviously did not get Buck Fever as you delivered the goods. :wacko:

I am pleased to say that after 12 years of stalking i still get a hit from all the chemicals my body produces in that situation. Nothing to interfere with what i am doing, far from it, they are produced to heighten my senses. Must hark back to a time when hunting really was a life or death activity and your system rewarded success with a pat on the back from a shot of dopamine.

Nick.

Lancs Lad

You obviously did not get Buck Fever as you delivered the goods. :wacko:

I am pleased to say that after 12 years of stalking i still get a hit from all the chemicals my body produces in that situation. Nothing to interfere with what i am doing, far from it, they are produced to heighten my senses. Must hark back to a time when hunting really was a life or death activity and your system rewarded success with a pat on the back from a shot of dopamine.

Nick.

Think you have just hit the nail on the head there mate. Hightened senses. but nothing to interefere.

Archived