tips on twitchy bunnies?

I have a bit of shared shooting - about 17 acres for rabbit and well to say it is over run is an understatment BUT there appears to have been a lot of shooting at them as they are rather timid. I know that they have traps out - not working, they have used ferrets didnt get that many and owner has taken a few shots with .22. There are at least 3 major warrens and during an afternoon visit I saw in excess of 50.

So I wondered if any of you have any tips for shooting in these circumstances?

In 2 hours around dusk last night I managed 12 - 10 of them this years young with longer and longer waits between shots for them to pop back up. They appeared to be extreamly shy of the lamp.

Let me at em ...... :P I had a similar prob once with a shoot. The beasties were very shy as someone had been at them with a 12ft/lb air rifle. Every time he shot one, it would squeal it's nuts off till it faded. Every bunny in hearing distance would go to ground for hours.

I solved it by setting up a hide within 60 yards of the warren and leaving it there for a week so they got used to the sight of it.

I went back, set myself up in the hide before dusk and waited.. It worked a treat.. As they couldn't see anything unusual as i placed my shots, for the most part they didn't panic and i was able to take 3 or 4 out at a time before they would get the idea that sitting next to a corpse was a bad idea ..

Even then, they would just hop away a few yards and sit tight again.. Worth a try if you're able to set up a hide and leave it there for awhile...

Did u have a good time away ?

yep it was fun. ( am I alowed to admit that?). I think everyone has been lamping and on foot. Did get them to come out when in the vehicle as they see them around the fields on a regular basis, but the older ones were never coming out more than about a yard and even though I set up between 2 warrens I was only getting a max of 2 shots at a time.

Im never sure if it is best to sit tight or go somewhere else for a while as the period it takes them to come out increases? Gave up and came home when it got to over 20 minutes!

Early in the year you can take three or four out of a group especially with a semi but once they learn what the SMACK of a bullet is they are gone.

In fairness you dont want to kill them all, I used to have large headage of rabbits, they all dissapeared over a few weeks though, all of them, I suspect a VHD outbreak. So nothing to shoot anymore. I saw a few in a quarry when doing some work a few weeks ago., I felt happy to see them.

A

Yep I know but the poor horses dont have any grass left to eat and stand a good chance of breaking a leg at the moment :P It is also one of the reasons not to poison.

I need to also have a look at the adjoining premises as I think they will probably also have a problem (2 large leisure facilities) but there are still a number of neighbours with big gardent that they love because of the sandy soil.

Population levels round herer appear to be going through the roof - so probably due for another bout of mixi

• 2 weeks later...

If they have horses they will have some good fences...any mesh fencing that you could drop a snare on?....very effective when on rabbit control in Scotland and if you cant get one on the fence you could put a few on the runs away from the warrens.

I have snared thousands of rabbits and find it a very effective method.

You would have to ask them to keep the horses in when you had the snares down incase they had a lick of them and remember to lay them late afternoon/evening and be back to check them just after first light before charlie checks them for you!!

Just and idea and if you need any more info on them give me a shout.

Its not as much fun as plinking them off with head shots but snares are killing whilst your sleeping!

Good Luck

Keith

Thanks guys. They are already using traps and will not use snares as they dont think they are very nice.

I will keep plugging away and if I can take a dozen or so a week we will get on top of it - eventually! They are deffinately lamp shy and so the answer appears to be shooting at dawn and dusk.

Thanks guys. They are already using traps and will not use snares as they dont think they are very nice.

I will keep plugging away and if I can take a dozen or so a week we will get on top of it - eventually! They are deffinately lamp shy and so the answer appears to be shooting at dawn and dusk.

it has been known for a farmer to use a farm slurry tanker and pump the lot down the holes if you dont want the rabbits ..but would be far better to let a real rifle marksman have a go first ..i would lie in wait at around 150 to 200 mtrs that would catch them out ..it would not hurt to put the horses away each time ..you have to meet the man half way to get the job done ..

im with spud,

gas them with those tablets, if done properly it will not effect dogs or horses, in fact it would do the horses a favour because you would have to back fill the holes when you put a tablet in,

in time the odd rabbit will dig out the odd hole

Archived