Larsens Trap bait?

Millwall Paul

Just wondering if someone could give me a few helpful hints on what is best to bait a larsens trap with this time of year. My parents place seems to have tons of magpies at the moment and they don't like anyone getting close enough to shoot them, I can't think why. Any advise as always is greatly recieved.

Cheers

Millwall Paul

Eggs, one on top of the trap another on the floor of the catching compartment.

Dead rabbits can be ok but they do stink after a day or two. Best idea if you can is to get a live Maggie from a nearby keeper as getting that first one can be a real pain. Once you have one it will catch well and you can give your early catches to other local keepers.

A

One of the best ways of catching your first magpie is to put the food ( a broken egg,cheese is good and so are pea nuts) right on the very edge of the trap, at some time, Mr magpie will knock his bit of food into the open set trap and follow it in. Bingo

make a very basic nest in the bottom of the trap and put in a egg i have caught magpies with golf balls before-?

as foxing tonight said a call bird from another area as maggies are territorial they will try to get at the "intruder" once caught you can re-trade your first catch with someone from another area.

im lucky i have a mate who has a constant supply of maggies all year round.when anyone needs one to start trapping they give him a call and he supplies and gets a caught bird in return,its a system that he has used for 25yrs and is never without a maggie.

Archived