62 grain (fmj) 223

shotgun sam

Tried them not in a Tikka but in my VS Remington with the same twist.

Used SS109-RPs which are either 62 or 63grs.

Could barely hit the target at 300yds despite the rifle being a tackdriver with projs up to 55grs

So you'll be wasting your time (and components) shooting these through a std twist barrel

Chris-NZ

I have the M595 in 1:12, and british military ball printed 4.5" groups at 100m.

A friend of mine takes out the 62gn bullet & replaces it with something more useable, which works well for him.

Hmm that's interesting Onehole. Must admit mine were at 400 yds and the old chap I was shooting with sucked in his cheeks and said I'd struggle to get any decent grouping due to the twist / bullet weight ratio. Those words seemed to be true around the forums and club so I've not experimented further. Your evidence suggests I should try again. I will, and will report back (with fork if necessary for large slice of humble pie)

Cheers Boondock

Hi Boondock,No probs my friend I saw your post and thought I would dig out some records being sure the Berger went well as there is another factor in the bullet weight/twist thingy and that is the length of bullet.The Berger 64 flat base is a relatively short bullet and therefore able to stabalise in the 1/12.As I said in my post I am pretty sure the 60 Vmax worked well too as they are a flat base too.

Not sure whether you would or could use the Vmax in a comp but certainly the Berger would be ok.I may be wrong but I believe the 62 grain military type or targetbt,s are a bit longer and thus need 1/9 really/.cheers Onehole.

Archived