Hornet re loading

gerald butler

Recently aquired my CZ 527 Hornet and now want to start re loading. Followed alot of the threads on here about Hornet re loading procedures and most recommend using CCI/Federal small pistol primers however my local re loading RFD supplier is telling me he cannot sell these for Hornet re loading as it cotravenes the new VCR ( I think) bill. Has anyone else come across this problem and if so what alternatives can you rcommend to be used with Lilgun powder. Thank's Gerald.

What is this VCR bill? My RFD sellls them to me ;)

I just googled VCR bill and it showed Violent Crime Reduction bill 2007. It appeared to pertain to the sale of air weapons but section 35 was about the sale of primers and stated,

"produces a certificate authorising him to possess a firearm of a relevant kind (ie a firearm other than a shotgun, an air weapon or a firearm chambered for rim-fire ammunition) or ammunition for such a firearm"

So you have an FAC with hornet on it so you can buy primers. maybe your rfd thinks you need to posess a pistol to buy pistol primers which would be wrong.

Gerald, this has been bugging me all day so i found relevant section. Violent Crime Reduction Bill 2007. (explained by BASC)

SECTION 35:

Restriction on sale and purchase of primers

In the past there have been concerns about criminals obtaining ammunition components.

Section 35 attempts to address this problem by introducing controls on the sale and

purchase of cap-type primers, including empty cartridge cases incorporating such primers,

designed for use in ammunition.

This section makes it an offence for anybody to sell to anybody primers for use in metallic

ammunition (rifle or pistol cartridges) unless the purchaser:

• Is a registered dealer

• Sells by way of trade or business either primers or empty cartridge cases

incorporating primers

• Produces a certificate authorising him to possess a firearm of a relevant kind

(i.e. a firearm other than a shotgun, an air weapon or a firearm chambered for

rim-fire ammunition) or ammunition for such a firearm

• Is a duly authorised Crown servant

• Shows he is entitled under an enactment to possess a firearm or ammunition of

a relevant kind without a certificate

• Shows he has authority to purchase primers on behalf of another certificate

holder

• Is authorised by regulations to purchase primers. This is a contingency

provision and to date no regulations have been made.

Note: This Section also makes it an offence to buy, or attempt to buy, primers unless the

purchaser meets the criteria above.

The maximum penalty for an offence under this section is six months imprisonment or a

£5,000 fine, or both.

Primers do not have to be listed on firearm certificates, nor sales recorded by dealers,

though a certificate of a relevant type (firearm or shotgun certificate) must be produced in

order for the retailer to make a sale.

The definitions in this section do not apply to blank ammunition, shotgun primers and

capped cases containing a shotgun primer or to percussion caps for muzzle-loading

firearms.

Primers may be given away as the law only relates to sale; however BASC recommends

that only those with a genuine use should be given primers

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD GET A COPY OF THIS AND SHOW IT TO YOUR RFD!

Gerald, this has been bugging me all day so i found relevant section. Violent Crime Reduction Bill 2007. (explained by BASC)

SECTION 35:

Restriction on sale and purchase of primers

In the past there have been concerns about criminals obtaining ammunition components.

Section 35 attempts to address this problem by introducing controls on the sale and

purchase of cap-type primers, including empty cartridge cases incorporating such primers,

designed for use in ammunition.

This section makes it an offence for anybody to sell to anybody primers for use in metallic

ammunition (rifle or pistol cartridges) unless the purchaser:

• Is a registered dealer

• Sells by way of trade or business either primers or empty cartridge cases

incorporating primers

• Produces a certificate authorising him to possess a firearm of a relevant kind

(i.e. a firearm other than a shotgun, an air weapon or a firearm chambered for

rim-fire ammunition) or ammunition for such a firearm

• Is a duly authorised Crown servant

• Shows he is entitled under an enactment to possess a firearm or ammunition of

a relevant kind without a certificate

• Shows he has authority to purchase primers on behalf of another certificate

holder

• Is authorised by regulations to purchase primers. This is a contingency

provision and to date no regulations have been made.

Note: This Section also makes it an offence to buy, or attempt to buy, primers unless the

purchaser meets the criteria above.

The maximum penalty for an offence under this section is six months imprisonment or a

£5,000 fine, or both.

Primers do not have to be listed on firearm certificates, nor sales recorded by dealers,

though a certificate of a relevant type (firearm or shotgun certificate) must be produced in

order for the retailer to make a sale.

The definitions in this section do not apply to blank ammunition, shotgun primers and

capped cases containing a shotgun primer or to percussion caps for muzzle-loading

firearms.

Primers may be given away as the law only relates to sale; however BASC recommends

that only those with a genuine use should be given primers

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD GET A COPY OF THIS AND SHOW IT TO YOUR RFD!

Many thank's Nick for looking into this in such depth, I certainly will put a copy of this under his nose, he was totally adamant that these could not be supplied for rifle reloading purposes.

Need to get the re loading underway ASAP having a nightmare with the winchester factory 45gr SP bullets that came with the rifle, just won't group at all. would be interested to know what favourite load you have settled on for Fox and Vermin .Thank's again everybody for your help. Gerald.

Many thank's Nick for looking into this in such depth, I certainly will put a copy of this under his nose, he was totally adamant that these could not be supplied for rifle reloading purposes.

Need to get the re loading underway ASAP having a nightmare with the winchester factory 45gr SP bullets that came with the rifle, just won't group at all. would be interested to know what favourite load you have settled on for Fox and Vermin .Thank's again everybody for your help. Gerald.

For the 35 gn V MAX i load exactly as Andrew does ( except my OAL is 1.725) which is in the favourite load section. For 40 gn V MAX and Blitzking i stick with 13.5 lilgun and BR4 primers but i am going to try pistol primers aswell. Replicate these loads at your own risk. I am also trying some loads with H 110. I would like to get some midway dogtown heads but i will have to have these sent to my RFD so will need to organise this.Nick

For the 35 gn V MAX i load exactly as Andrew does ( except my OAL is 1.725) which is in the favourite load section. For 40 gn V MAX and Blitzking i stick with 13.5 lilgun and BR4 primers but i am going to try pistol primers aswell. Replicate these loads at your own risk. I am also trying some loads with H 110. I would like to get some midway dogtown heads but i will have to have these sent to my RFD so will need to organise this.Nick

Cheers Nick, had the barrel floated /bedded on my CZ and it's now behaving a little bit better but not happy with the bolt action cycling of the bullets into the breech very chunky and on inspection of the bullets it is obvious that they are clipping the breech on entry into the barrel leaving a distinct flattened edge to the bullet ( winchester 45gr sp) found a big improvement now I have resorted to single loading but still not acceptable.

REally disapointed with the rifle so far having heard such good comment's about the CZ from across the pond and others this side but will persevere and see whether the re loading will improve things.Gerald.

Archived