solid or expanding ammo

shotgun sam

In an attempt to answer your question with some authority, i looked on the BASC site for such information as i'm a member.

I'm disappointed to report that Basc only gives this info if one is using a shotgun or an air rifle... They clearly don't think that this sort of info would be helpful to new rifle hunters.

IMHO... Use only hollow point when shooting any live quarry.... They deserve no less.....

It is technically legal to shoot rabbits with anything, some centerfires usd to have a restrictive clause on tickets limiting their use to deer and maybe foxes. I understand that the ACPO have now agreed that this term will be removed (probably on request) at next renewal. Just make sure you ask for pest/vermin control in all calibers you own and leave it at that. Foxes may be shot with any caliber that is on your ticket for shooting foxes or vermin. I have killed foxes with .22LR and chest shots yes but head shots are far better.

As for expanding/non expanding, in the rimfire expanding are far better stoppers, I have center chest shot rabbits with solid points and they hopped off 10 yards then fell oevr dead, no outward signs of being hit at all. With the centerfire match type non expanding bullets work just fine but again expanding are preferable.

A

Archived