.243/80gn Nosler b.tips velocity

MJR

Looking for a bit of advise here.

I've loaded some of the above rounds with 37.5gn Varget (worked up to and no pressure signs at all) and just chrono'd them at an average of 3006 fps with a spread of 34fps over 5 rounds. My reloading book suggest a velocity closer to 3200 fps but doesn't give a barrel length for the test gun where as my Tikka 595 has 22" barrel and Wildcat mod. The good news is its shooting near clover leafs. BUT the next step up I took was with 38gn of Varget, still with no pressure signs but it wasn't as accurate. So do I stay with what i've got or try the 38gn load with different seating depths to gain accuracy and increase velocity? Is the velocity i've already got ok?

Thanks.

You've already found the rifles / rounds sweet spot.. Stick with it is my humble advice my friend.

I take it your're hunting rather than looking for a 600 yard plus load..

3000 fps for an 80 grainer is more than enough to do the job .... :P

hi mjr,

speer manual 13 lists 40 grains of varget as max for 80 grain bullet and giving 3308 fps

36 grains as start load giving 3059 fps in a 22 inch barrel

may find that half grain steps are a bit big if you have time and patience i normally go up in tenths especially if you have chrono facilities just bought one but not used yet, you have a bit of room to maybe find another node. also i find that cci br primers give me better groups with all my varget loads but magnum primers blow groups open for what it worth.

graham.

Yep I have found a sweet spot but just wondering if theres more to come.

Graham, is that the current speer version? My Lee 2nd edition gives 36gn as starting load and 38.5 as max and i'm using cci br2 primers in sako neck turned and sized brass.

Archived