OAL CASES

Sakoboomstick

• 1 year later...

I have the required taps to do the job if you get no better offer

Mark

What tap is it for threading. Could be useful to have one

Hi the tap is 5/16X36 uns and you need a 7.3mm drill for the final drilling hole.I have done several cases now in my small lathe and although the drilling and tapping process is easy you have to take care that the fired,drilled and threaded case really does fit your chamber!!!I will probably be shot down in flames by a real machinist but in my experience you have to fit the case to the chamber by a little polishing with some fine emery especially near the case head.A once fired case does fit very snuggly in your chamber and has the benefit of the bolt closing down on it to do this and pure hand pressure on the stonypoint set up sometimes cannot snug the case in far enough to contact the shoulder area correctly thus giving a "long " and false reading.

The operation is correct when you can feel or hear the shoulder of the "fitted" case gently tapping the shoulder inside the chamber.A 223 case can also be easily expanded in the drilling and threading process in addition to the "once fired" expansion.

Take care because if you get it wrong you will end up with heads potentially and unknowingly stuffed in the lands and will go so far as to say that even if you have your cases machined and returned by post by a competent engineer please test some dummy made up rounds to check seating depths first.Take care regards Onehole.

I must have made up into the hundreds of these things now, and to my knowledge, people have never had a problem with them. A fireformed case will expand on firing, and then shrink back rapidly. The mistake people make, and its usually the tight gits out there, is to rebarrel a gun and then use eight times fired brass in it. They then get a case threaded that is so work hardened, its not worth a toss, and didn,t shrink back on firing.

Use a new case, then clean it up with scotchbrite after threading by someone who knows what they are doing, and you shouldn,t have any problems. A case done this way will always give more accurate results than a stoney point "one size fits all" case.

You will find the tap is very expensive indeed, and unless you are doing them commercially, you probarbly wont make your money back.

Archived