Lean time over.

Dry spell over and 2 in the bag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well after a spell of all the deer seeing me before I could spot them the balance changed to me side. I wasn't able to get out stalking for the months of December and most of January and when I did I saw many deer but was not able to get a shot away.

So at 4.30am I set off to Kerry and stopped for my shooting buddy Dwighet on the way. We stopped for petrol, coffee and a grab a sandwich on the way and arrived, a bit late as the sun was up, in Kerry at 7.45. Geared up and we both went our different way into the moutain forests.

I have my set route thats a bit more easy on the legs, I'm not getting any younger you know, and headed up to a spot I know the deer to be, while Dwighet went off on his long arduous and difficult track through the forest to the big lake.

I took my time to get up to the small clearing going from tree to tree and avoided stepping on the twigs. I stopped short of the clearing for 15 minutes to check it out before stepping out, only to be greeted with a high pitched whistle from a deer that was a little higher to me that I did not see. So that was all for the morning save the usual walk around my route. We meet back at the car before heading off for lunch and the late evening session.

So a couple of hours before dusk Dwighet and myself said we would try out a new spot where the high seat is. As we turned off the track out of the trees to where a boggy field starts and where the mountains rise at the other side of the field there were 3 deer @150m+ We both saw them at the same time but D was quicker to the draw and I didn't want to move incase they saw me. D dropped one with a heart/lung shot that ran off a little before dropping.

Where it dropped turned out to be a good spot to lay up for the rest of the evening which we did, This spot had a clear view of the field with trees on both sides from where the deer could come out to feed for the night time. And it came to be as this is what happened.

Just about 4.45 ish a deer came out to feed,@150m+ but it was feeding away from us into the wind so only a rear end shot was presented. Later another joined the first. We waited until both turned sideways on before taking the any shots. I shot the first as the other one was was behind a power line pole. The other ran a little and stopped and as it did it was also taken. We both agreed that the distance was between 170-200m and I was using Dwighets sticks while he was on the bi-pod.

Dwighet's rifle is 7mm-08 custom with I think a Leupold IV scope it's the top gun in the photo.

I use a Sako 75 in .308 with a Bushnell 6-24x50 tactical scope seen resting on the deer.

12022010070.jpg

CJ

12022010072.jpg

Well done Clive!!! ;):lol:

I enjoyed the writeup too!!!! , good looking beasts there which i am sure will make good eating during the year!!! :D

All the best.............

RAY................................

Very good Clive, well done.

You seem to be getting on well with your 308.

Hope dwighet dragged the deer back for you... ;)

edi

Edi

We shot these 2 right in the middle of a bog. We had to step from tuff of grass to tuff any wrong step and it was up to the knees in muck.

I was there again today and saw another 2 in the exact same place but they kept moving on through up to the mountain.

I ranged it today as well - bang on 200y. Not bad shooting off a pair of sticks. :(

Edi

We shot these 2 right in the middle of a bog. We had to step from tuff of grass to tuff any wrong step and it was up to the knees in muck.

I was there again today and saw another 2 in the exact same place but they kept moving on through up to the mountain.

I ranged it today as well - bang on 200y. Not bad shooting off a pair of sticks. ;)

Good shooting, the trick is not to mess up the shot.

i'm not the greatest off the sticks so I don't use em.

Rather free hand to about 100yds.

I love the Kerry bogs, not for the faint hearted.

Getting a stag out is a problem though.

edi

Archived