what thread?

hi guys I`ve been trying to work out what thread I have on the barrel of the sako, our local blacksmith measure it today and said it was 20 G 1/4?

I`ve never heard of this and wonderd if any of you had or if its known by another name or if there is a more common thread thats close to it that he may have got muddled with.

cheers lads Matt

hi guys I`ve been trying to work out what thread I have on the barrel of the sako, our local blacksmith measure it today and said it was 20 G 1/4?

I`ve never heard of this and wonderd if any of you had or if its known by another name or if there is a more common thread thats close to it that he may have got muddled with.

cheers lads Matt

Right....for a start.......if you are asking because you want to get a mod fitted, then I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST that you take it to the gun shop.

Reason being.......even though, customers who think they know. and have checked, and have told you that the thread is such and such, and when they come to pick up their mod, and it doenst fit...it means that you have written down the wrong thread size,,,,,and even when you are questioned, and you again say that it is such and such a size,,,,,,,,and that the gun smith has cut the wrong thread, and even though when you leave your crown protector, and when the gun smith measures that thread and finds that it is indeed the wrong thread size from what you have stated, and confirmed on a number of occasions that indeed it is the shops fault that they wrote down the thread that you said and its the shops fault that you cut the wrong thread that is incorrect from the measurements that the gunsmith got from your crown protector, even though that thread isnt the thread thats on your barrel.....ACCORDING TO YOU.....................

Not that I have had experience of that this week......................but,,,,hey, its my fault...............and yes you cant have your deposit back untill I sell the mod that was made for the thread thats not a thread that I wrote down from your confirmaiton and double confirmation oh and when you came in to confirm..............

ARSEHOLE........ps, not you............because you of course will bring your rifle or at least your crown protector into the shop for the gun smith to TRIPLE CONFIRM and not take your word for it....

sorry....did I rant..........

ha ha, sounds like you`ve had a great week in the shop,

reason for wanting to know what thread is dasherman has a couple of ex factory barrels at the workshop both are screw cut both are different threads so if i can work out what thread is inside my mod i can decide on which barrel to have him fit to my rifle.

I know this wont make it a super lush full custom but hopefuly it will make foxes fall over and as I`m starting on a new estate will plenty of foxes that is my priority until fund allow me to get a custom barrel and all the other bells and whistles fitted

the lad swore it was an 18/1 metric or something like that........................oh, no he didnt say that, we wrote that down wrong and my ears, even though they are freakin big, I didnt hear it correct, and even though someone checked but didnt really check and confirmed that it wasnt what it wasnt then yes it wasnt an 18/1 metric not what it is but isnt then yes its not what its not what is isnt or is but isnt yes not is.

Assume you have your mod that you are taking off your other barrel. if so, double check your existing barrel, and the if needs be, get the other one recut.

Most Sako sporters are threaded M14x1mm, the TRG's are M17x1mm (I think)

If the rifle has been done by a gunsmith - then the thread could be anything.

Ive just had a look at my thread guages re the 20G1/4

This is a Whitworth thread, pretty (very) uncommon now - especially in the rifle world.

It is 20 TPI (Thread per inch)

The 20G 1/4 is very similar to 1/2 UNF (which is also 20 TPI) and also similar to Metric 1.25.

I strongly urge you to get this checked by someone with thread pitch guage and a vernier so measure thread diameter and Thread pitch.

It sounds to me like it will be 1/2" UNF (1/2" diameter, 20 TPI)

Although it may be a metric diameter and 1.25 pitch.

cheers ronin, thats kind of what I was thinking guess getting someone other than an agricultural mechanic to measure the threads would have been a good idea but he was the nearest man with a set of thread guages I could think of. Rest assured I will get it checked out properly befor I do anything else with it just in case I become one of those special people who are making lancs lad`s life sooooo intresting at the mo. :):):)

m18x1 is a sako thread also but thats on most heavy barrel rifles.mine on my 22/250 is m18x1

and i no some tikka varmint's have m18x1 threads.

YUP they do mate,,,,,,and thats how the bloke knew, I mean, we knew or guessed that the Tikka Varmint is a 18x1 and when we wrote it down wrong and he came in with a tika, that obviously wasnt the varmint barrel then thats when we knew that we had got it all wrong for him.

I mean, who would be such a FREAKING retard to give you the thread size for a varmint barrel, when indeed its not a varmint.

Customers, no.....they are never wrong. The customer is always right................but some can also be severly retarded......

So, if anyone is looking for a nice mod for a tikka varmint with an 18/1 then drop me a line...Got a nice one, not even fired a round through it. Just make sure you havent got a standard 1/2unf thread.....because then you will be really stupid. :):)

YUP they do mate,,,,,,and thats how the bloke knew, I mean, we knew or guessed that the Tikka Varmint is a 18x1 and when we wrote it down wrong and he came in with a tika, that obviously wasnt the varmint barrel then thats when we knew that we had got it all wrong for him.

I mean, who would be such a FREAKING retard to give you the thread size for a varmint barrel, when indeed its not a varmint.

Customers, no.....they are never wrong. The customer is always right................but some can also be severly retarded......

So, if anyone is looking for a nice mod for a tikka varmint with an 18/1 then drop me a line...Got a nice one, not even fired a round through it. Just make sure you havent got a standard 1/2unf thread.....because then you will be really stupid. :):)

is it a ase mod ? if so you can get the thread changed in them

Archived