My 22-250 savage was a stonkin rifle bought it of the bbs garanted to shoot bug holes!

the chap wasent kidding

heres some groups on a very still day!

Photo-0004.jpg

still wouldnt mind a fast twist 22-250

cheers Andy

Cornishman,

i dont bull$hit and i dont exagerate my rifles or my own performance, i take it with a pinch of salt each time i read about someone achieving 1/4 groups off the bonnet of the landrover, I have no problem telling anyone that my groups increase 2 if not 3 fold in size in field conditions, thats before you take into account wind, weather, temp etc......its a complete different scenario shooting from a solid bench with ideal conditions at the range, really only a test of equipment rather then the complete package.

On the brass front i am using Nosler Custom 22-250 which i found fireformed better and more truely then Norma.

The Norma also had a tendancy to start neck splitting after 3 reloads, i am now on my 8th reload with my original batch of Noslers, as of yet i have only noticed a few loosening primers pockets (which i have binned) no need to bump the shoulder yet either :)

Ian.

I generally agree with this but on the other hand..........

This thread prompted me to get out to the local range (yes Tony, Duchy) to test some loads I'd made up a while ago after a bad day with the 22-250. The good news is that after a really good cleaning the rifle is back shooting good-ish groups. On the other hand this particular rifle doesn't shoot well from a pedestal rest (the fore-end is too narrow and too rounded) but if I use a bipod it jumps on a hard surface. The result is that I shoot better groups prone in a field where the softer surface seems to help. I tested three different bullets and all were around the half-inch at 100m. So my cut-rifled, Border-barrelled, McMillan-stocked, Nightforce-scoped RPA shoots no better than the factory Savage above. That's a learning point for all those people who think you can spend a lot and, hey presto, small groups. Today's groups could (should) have been better but the limiting factor was the 1" square black aiming points I used which gave a black-on-black sight picture that my old eyes couldn't really cope with. So that's another learning point - make sure you use a target that is suited to the scope. Christ, it's a miracle we hit anything at all.

Ian - useful info about Nosler brass. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Hi

must admit ref the custom v factory debate that rages on & off on the various fourums that factory rifles can & do shoot as good as a full blown custom!

Ive had that several factory rifles that shoot pretty well and a couple that shot very very well!

that savage was seriously acurate & i only sold it due to wanting a full custom in 243ai toalow me to take deer as well!

lawton/shillen/mcmillan/jewle ect ect

that savage shot just as well as custom wich also shoots ery very well!

My parker hale just amazes me for a old factory rifle thats peanuts to buy these days will out shoot my custom past 400yds!(its not the only one)

look at sir slots tikka that aint no slouch

I guess its a dice rolling exersize on wht u get tho!

cheers Andy

Archived