Reloading M96 6.5x55

bobblehat

I recently purchased a 6.5x55 rifle wih a 1901 M96 swede action. I know some of the older actions are not so strong, is the M96 one of these and what sort of loads should I put though it? The american data suggests not pushing it above 45,000psi and their factory ammo represents this, but the Euro data says 55,000 psi is fine, Is this action safe with hotter loads???

Confuddled! :(

I'm toying with the idea of buying a new sako in 6.5x55 so have been doing a bit of reading on the calibre. I'm no expert but from what I have read the american companies deliberately load the calibre mild in case their ammo is used in older service rifles like yours. I think I would err on the side of caution and stick with their recommendation.

The European companies, such as Norma, apparently load the calibre to it's full potential, so I would be careful of feeding your rifle with their fodder, better safe than sorry!

The Swede is proofed to over 70K. The hazard comes from the venting of gasses should a case rupture. There is no gas shield like found in the 98 Mauser. Norma loads the Swede to 51K. Ken Waters in the US recommends that as max for the Swede actions.~Andrew

Archived