FL SIZING DIE

v-max

Hello all im looking at getting a full-length sizing die but unsure.I got RCBS in 25/06 & like design but dident know about the pin & it broke on me but i got spare's & fine now.I was on Midway-uk & was looking at the forster/redding or do i get the RCBS again it's only hunting round's but getting stiff in rifle action.I was wondering from those with knowledge of the forster/redding die what like are they or what you think best for me or do the forster/redding need spare pin's etc & are they easy to get.Sorry i have a RCBS rockchucker press will these die's fit in it too.

I do not intend to appear rude but if you are so naive regarding reloading then I really do think that you need to find someone who reloads locally to yourself and spend some time with them going through the rudiments of the process with guidance. I have always bought spare pins but have only had two failures in many 10,000's of reloads. If you are breaking pins you are doing something very wrong.

It is normal practice to buy a FL die set not a neck die set as your initial purchase. All cases should be FL sized BEFORE firing in your rifle - even new ones will also benefit as they are generally rather knocked around by the time you get them.

Neck sizing is secondary to FL sizing and is normally only carried out when you have fired cases in your rifle and then only for around 3 reloads before FL sizing once again. A lot of folk who shoot in the field rather than targets never bother with neck sizing simply as a safeguard in that ALL cases will fit into their chamber without problems.

Do also ensure you check the case length every time after sizing. more mishaps happen from cases that are too long than from any other aspect of reloading.

Take care and ask on the forums for someone local to yourself to contact you and offer direct assistance.

Hello 325wsm i only recently moved to RCBS after 8yrs with lee thus i got FL-RCBS die's for my 25/06 as im a hunter but i got a load of 22.250 case's to fl size & no longer have a 22.250 fl die just neck & wondered on these two make's.I only got 10 case's done when pin broke in the RCBS but got spare's & never had a problem since after hunderd or so case's & no change to die i think the pin was loose at first.Never had trouble in all my 8-9yrs reloading with lee just thought i would upgrade slightly to RCBS but im sorted now.I only wondered on the 22.250 FL-die's as iv no experiance of them & wondered on input from past experiace of member's that know of them or work them ie forster/redding or will i just get RCBS set of 2.

Re you second post.

I am sorry if I assumed you were very much the novice.

The choice of dies for everyday reloading is in my opinion irrelevant. Despite what others say I rate Lee highly and for 95% of reloading they will do as good a job as you can wish for. I have all makes and from preference would always buy a Lee Collet dieset if available irrespective of which make I use for my other dies for that calibre. Generally I prefer RCBS as I just find them easy to use and set up as any (esp with Lee locking rings) and they are always available on Ebay (US) as silly money.

Otherwise for a basic FL set just buy Lee. They are a little more inconvenient to set up but are guaranteed for life with the best after sales service you could wish for. A telephone call will bring replacements to your door within 10 days FOC. If you email me at mry716@hotmail.com I will give you a friends email address in the US who owns a Gunshop and he will send you some Lee as cheap if not cheaper than anyone else - well less than UK trade price.

Hello & cheer's i thought about the lee collet die's might just go with what i know & served me well all these year's.I am a novice really compared to benchrest/target club boy's i know but take them fox lamping & there a nightmare/not a clue as a fox aint a bit paper & sit there till there ready.might take you up on your offer or is it hasle to get them from the US?.My dad goes over for 5-7week's but he would get the wrong 1's.Cheer's for help.

No problem - send email and pay by Paypal or credit card and they should arrive in 7-10 days.

I often get things within the week and P&P is only £5.50 for up to 4lbs which will mean 2 sets of dies.

So a 22-250 Lee FL die set will be about £13 delivered and adding another set of choice will push the total to about £21. Generally you dont get caught for Duty and VAT on small purchases

Having had a number of issues with RCBS reloading kit inc dies, I have now only one neck sizing 243 die which I dont actually use.

I now have some lee dies but mostly Hornady "New Dimension Custom dies" , I have gone to these as the expander is properly made and of double taper design, so it doesnt damage the case neck even used dry which I prefer. The bullet seating die is much better too and has a drop down guide sleeve to keep the bullet straight as it is pushed in.

They are better made and designed than the RCBS and the Redding dies so thats what I use and accuracy is not a problem for me if I am up to it on the day :lol:

The reason I use the expanders dry , is that whatever you use as lube is hard to remove consistently and some like graphite powder becomes embedded in the brass and is impossible to remove. This leads to inconsistency round to round and I am sure is why a lot end up poking the bullet into the lands to try to regain consistency, which in turn gives accuracy obviously.

If every round performs identically, which is what we want, then by default each bullet should land in the same place given the same external conditions.

The Lee dies do ok and I wouldnt knock them, I just change the lock rings for Hornady clamp type as the O ring affair is inconsistent in the placement of the die in the press.

Redfox

Archived