Folding locking knife recommendations

eldon

Hi,

I am currently considering buying a few knives for my various jackets to just leave in and then I always have one with me.

For stalking I have a few fixed blade knives that do the job nicely but this is intended more for rabbiting etc.

What I want is suggestions of knives that are worth having. They must have a folding, so safe to stash in a pocket and most importantly locking blade, working length around 3" blade. The blade material whether stainless or carbon or other has to hold a good edge.

Come on then guys tell me whats what ? what do you use?

cheers

That link is a good one with such a wide range of manufacturers, cheers.

I was looking more for personnel reccomendations though as the choice is massive and as we all know some are good and some are bad.

The spyderco that you have had looks a good choice but a bit too expensive with wanting to buy a few.

I have had Opinels in the past and remember struggling with opening one after a full days rain so not off the list but not sure on those.

Spyderco military.....simple and works well....easy to open and close, been my EDC for about 5 years, not found it wanting and the S30V steel keeps a decent edge. It is also not heavy or bulky. Downside...not that cheap.

David.

cant fault the already mentioned Opinels

hold an edge cheap and if it does get sticky to open coz its wet...simple

just give it a whack off of a strainer post or similar..blades pops out enuff to get decent hold and open & lock

sauer

That Spyderco military certainly looks nice............ but doesn't fit the criteria (expense) as I said I want a leave in pocket knife and might get 2 or 3.

Thanks guys for the suggestions I will have a look at those.

I have a normark big swede lock knife, I have no complaints with it at all, holds an edge as well as some very expensive knives i have had.

Would definately reccomend them if they are still available.

I have a Victorinox Hunter. It has a reasonably sized locking main blade (drop point which is good for gutting) and a saw, but not a lot else. More importantly it's easy to clean, takes and holds a great edge and doesn't cost the earth. Oh and it's red so quite hard to lose!

I like Opinels too, but as someone said they can get stuck closed. It's easy enough to give them a tap but sometimes it's a pain.

The best folding lock knife has to be the Cold Steel Voyager 4" model, I've used mine every day for the past 4 ish years to open every thing from rabbits to deer, feed bags to cutting tealers. It will hold an amazing edge for a hell of a long time and the lock up feels like a fixed blade.

If I was only to ever have one knife this would be it !.

http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/coldsteelf.htm Copy and paste this into your address bar

Archived