New rifle

I picked up my new "work horse" rifle from SYSS last week, nothing customised (this time), a Rem700 .243 Varmint SPS with A-Tec Mod.

(Excellent threading job by the way!)

I am having it Devcon bedded into a Wild Dog stock as soon as their next batch arrives, but I thought I'd take it home as it is

for now, and spend some time working up a load.

So far it's looking OK, but I think I can get more out of her in this standard state.

I noticed that at the very end of the SPS stock forend there are two lugs that actually support the barrel, which

obviousely means that it is not anywhere near free floating.

Does anyone know why they place these lugs there? As in my mind it can not help accuracy "out of the box".

I'm thinking of removing the lugs to see if it helps accuracy. Any thoughts?

You should have said who you were buddy, i,ve done the work on the gun, and if you had, you may have even heard the dreaded "d" word mentioned [discount] though this is rare in a Yorkshire shop [even though Roger is a soft southern shite], he qualifies for a flat cap, and loan of a whippet, this year, as he,s been here 30 years. :D

Personally, with the sps stock, i would leave it as it is, because its likely to flex, when used with a bipod.Barrels should be one of two things, completely floated, with no chance of stock contact, or permanent contact [which is a poor second] never inbetween.

I read an article on the very subject recently but I cant for the life of my self remember where. The baisics was that the front bearing point makes more mass produced barrels of that profile shoot to an acceptable standard than if they were free floated. but most barrels if free floated will shoot even better but some will shoot worse than if they didn't have the bearing portion at the front of the stalk. It is all to do with harmonics

I freefloated my remington 700 in a synthetic stock and as Baldie says it does flex a bit but to be honest if you remove enough material it is ok and wont touch. I have now put it in a VSSF stock and I have managed one 1/4 group with it at 100m it normal produces 3/4 ish. I am looking to treat my self to a Border barrel for it for christmas though. If you are getting a new stock any way it is probably not worth bothering.

Dave

Archived