Another scope question

Right chaps, I need a scope for my .22lr to shoot bunnies and birds out to 80 or so yards. I've decided a 6x42 will give me enough mag for my needs and going for a used fixed mag means that I can afford something that's really decent. I've found a used Docter ZF 6x42 M and a used S&B german 6x42 A7 reticle. Which would you go for? It's the same money, the Docter is in slightly better condition but not by much. I've had both Docter and Schmidt scopes in the past and to be honest I can't say that one is better than the other in my experience!

You might get a bit more back with the Schmidt if you later decided to sell it - just based on the name.

There seems a good deal on a Swarovski 8x56 in the for sale section at the moment though.

David.

I'm afraid that Swaro is a bit over my budget. You're right though, it would be a great buy for someone.

I'm thinking I'll go for the one with the thinner crosshair, whichever that may be!

Like David said, there's always a good market for secondhand Schmidts - they hold their value well - so if you decide to upgrade you'll get most of even all of your money back.

If anything does go wrong (rare!) or you drop your rifle + S&B over a cliff or something, the factory repair / refurbishment service is almost unique - they'll rebuild almost any of their scopes to as new and to the latest specification (at a price of course if it's not a warranty repair).

I can't comment on the Dokter, other than that I know they're good sporting scopes.

Laurie

I actually settled on the Docter in the end as the guy on the phone described both the reticles to me and the Docter one sounded nicer for what I want to use it for. It was also a tidier scope.

I think either way it wouldn't have been a bad choice. Both are more than capable of working at .22lr ranges! I was considering a cheap Tasco or Bushnell but I now feel like I've done the right thing, I've bought another scope that's worth more than the gun it's fitted to! :D

Is this scope your looking at from Macleods? I saw one on their website.

With my .22Lr I put a Kahles 6x42 on it, only problem I can foresee is they are parallaxed to 100m, but at 6mag,I don't imagine that's a problem.

Kahles008.jpg

It was the one on the MacLeods website. It arrived today. I must say it's in very good condition for 6/10 and it got here less than 24 hours from when I ordered it. Top marks to them. I'm hoping to get it on the gun tomorrow so we'll see how it works. From looking through it off of the gun it seems fine. The quality of the glass is obvious, it's very clear.

Archived