neck trning

bramble basher

hi fellas was just wondering does anybody have any good quality photos of neck turned brass showing how a case should look once it's been properly turned how far into the shoulder that sort of thing

the reason i ask is i purchased all the necessary tools about three month ago but because bloody work ;) got in the way i never got round to it but now I've cleared the decks I've got a bit more time on my hands been having a little play am quite happy so far but having never done it before not really sure Wat I'm looking for any help appreciated :D

Here,s a couple of pics that I put up on this site a long time ago now but it shows a 220 Russian case necked up and then turned and cross sectioned to show how far in the cut goes on the shoulder.It is important to go into the shoulder to avoid what they call doughnuts forming[a restriction] that may affect criticall measurements at the neck/shoulder area if using long bullets that enter into the main body of the case.Get it wrong and and you may end up with no clearance at all ,very dangerous!.In practice with a PPC there are not many applications that will see a bullet going that far in but better safe than sorry.If you are neckturning for a fast twist 6BR for example then its a different story as some of those long bullets will almost certainly get down to the shoulder junction.There are many good articles on neck turning but best is find someone that may live near you and buddy up so you can get the hang of it.TAKE CARE.What seems simple to some may be a nightmare for others so get some practical help if you can.You will also need to have some accurate measuring tools and a micrometer is a must.

What cal.are you going to turn? I could do a dummy case for you if its a 6mm,6.5 or 30 cal just for you to study,give us a ring if you want a chat.07817822934.Here,s the pics hope it helps,cheers Onehole. IMG_0006.jpgIMG_0001.jpg

cheers onehole just Wat i was looking for that pic looks just about Wat I've got after a bit of playing spoke to f2n (Darrel) when i bought the gear he gave me a few pointers just need to load a few cases up now and give em a try the cal is 25-06 but the cases are 270 necked down and trimmed back bit of a ball ache but a mate had 100 once fired Norma 270 going free so worth the effort

thanks again b.b

Archived