what gun

chim 1

Hi guys

I have just sold my .223 Winchester ranger model 70,which was my fox gun

My set up was Winchester ranger model 70 1 in 12 twist with a T4 reflex moderator,

with bushnell banner ,it also had a 9 to 13 bi pod,

the gun has only been fired with home loads ammunition (24 grns accurate 2230 powder, 55grns v max heads and

cci primers) it used to achieve about an 1 and a half to 2 inch group over 300yards and about 4-6 inchs at 600 yrds

The question i want to ask is, i need a gun within the budget that will shoot 300 yrd vermin and up to 600 yds target at bisley .

The gun i wanted and just missed was a steyr pro varmint .223 stainless heavy fluted barrel 1 in 9 twist with a wild cat moderator i think and a mtc viper. what outfit would you recommend on a £1000 budget

I would like stainless with synthetic stock if possible

many thanks

Tim

Tim, if i were you, avoid the Steyr pro varmint. I bought one this year and parted with it promptly losing a wad of cash. Whilst it looks the mutts nuts with it's fluted barley twist barrel, i couldn't get it to feed from the mag reliably. Every 2nd or 3rd round would jam into the breach with no apparent reason.

s2.jpg

I contacted the importer who told me that it was a well known problem and that there was a modified mag for it. They wouldn't let me have one under warranty, i had to pay just short of £50 for it.

When it arrived, it was identical to the two i already had ! It too failed to feed properly. I ended up taking a dremel to all three with varying degrees of success. Still on occasions they would hang up rounds. The accuracy of the rifle was no better than guys around me at the range who had T3's.

As such, i parted company with it within 12 weeks of buying it and bought a T3 instead.. Since then i've never looked back mate..

If you're going to stick with a 223 I think you're going to need to shoot 75g or 80g bullets to avoid being blown off the target and that means a 1:8" twist. I don't know any manufacturer who offers this tight a twist except maybe the lads who make up the AR15 lookalikes. Fancy a black gun?

HI GUY'S

Many thanks for the replies

Firstly i am afraid i have to keep the budget to £1000.00 for an out fit as i have limited funds .

I am sorry to hear about your steyr issues and the one that i missed out on did have an issue with the bolt also

I found out after the other guy brought it lucky me, A really nice looking gun though .

It does have to be a .223 , although i do have a 22.250 on my ticket as well

I will look for a cheap 22.250 later to play with

i believe the 1:8 or 1:9 will carry the extra weight i will need for the six hundred

i tried the extra weight in the winchester 1:12 did not do very well either

many thanks again

rgds Tim

hi chim,

well one option open to you could be to find a remington 700 pss chambered for 223 rem dont know what the twist rate is but you do get a fully beded hs percision stock with wide fore end so semi customised for your bit of long range work but possibly on the heavy side for foxing but extremely stable on a bi pod.

dont know if there are any about second hand but can be found new for around 800 to 850 screw cut sounds alot but you have got a good action to build off in the future.

graham.

hi chim,

well one option open to you could be to find a remington 700 pss chambered for 223 rem dont know what the twist rate is but you do get a fully beded hs percision stock with wide fore end so semi customised for your bit of long range work but possibly on the heavy side for foxing but extremely stable on a bi pod.

dont know if there are any about second hand but can be found new for around 800 to 850 screw cut sounds alot but you have got a good action to build off in the future.

graham.

The Remington PSS is 1-9" twist, but beware, the outwardly similar 700VS (Varmint Synthetic) is 1-12" as is the hollow plastic stocked

700SPS Varmint that uses the same barrelled action.

A good secondhand PSS was sold by word of mouth, or on the same day it was traded into the average gunshop for a long time, such was the demand for these rifles. That seems to have abated now, and while they still sell, can take a few weeks or even months to move depending on price. The RRP new has long been £1,000 + but you'll likely get one well below that if you shop around. Secondhand, £550-650 depending on condition. Most older examples are not threaded, so that's a fair extra cost if you need a moddy. Stay patient and keep looking at dealers' websites or telephoning them and you'll find one sooner or later, possibly with a moderator fitted.

Savage does the 12 Long Range Precision Varmint in both 1-7" and 1-9" twist versions. This is a really heavy rifle though - not a walking rifle, unless you're a fitness nut or in training for the 2012 Olympics. If interested, look here for a decent price:

Fox Firearms UK

The Remy 700SPS Tactical is offered with a heavy 20" barrel in a Hogue Overmolded stock at an attractive price with 1-9" twist in both plain muzzle and screwcut (£45-50 extra on an off the shelf new rifle). The stock is a bit flimsy, but can be upgraded as and when. I've been using one of these a bit recently and it does shoot well. With the 20" barrel, it's a lot handier than the VS, PSS and SPS Varmints / Savage LRPV that all have 26-inchers, especially with a moderator on. York Guns has a new SPS Tactical in stock at the moment at £645 with screwcut muzzle. These rifles have the new(ish) X-Pro trigger assembly that is better than the old model as it comes out of the factory, but still pretty crap. However, Dave (Baldie to you on this forum) at SYSS will do a trigger tune-up (and more in general tuning / improvement) at a reasonable price especially as you're starting out at £650.

York Guns

SYSS Remy 700 Page

Laurie

I cant see a 223 being that good at 600 yards and 300 on fox is a very long way for it. A bit to far really in my book unless conditions are pretty good.

6BR would be an ideal cartridge for you, but a used Cooper Pheonix and scope would be over budget somewhat. On top of which you would have the cost of a caliber variation rather than one on one off if you stay with 223.

A

Hi menial 1

that looks nice it would have been better if was stainless

Hi alycidon

you may be rite about 6mm br

but we have a lad with a tikka 1:8 i think a tikka lite not sure, he does very well with the 60gran as apposed to the 55grn my old 1:12 winchester used to like

whats it like trying to get a 6mmbr

for fox is it not a bit heavyand a bit fast for vermin

rgds to the both of you

Tim

[

Hi alycidon

you may be rite about 6mm br

but we have a lad with a tikka 1:8 i think a tikka lite not sure, he does very well with the 60gran as apposed to the 55grn my old 1:12 winchester used to like

whats it like trying to get a 6mmbr

for fox is it not a bit heavyand a bit fast for vermin

rgds to the both of you

Tim

Picking up a used one may be tricky as they sell themselves due to their inherrant accuracy. I use a 6PPC (Slightly smaller case than 6BR) and a 20BR.

The 6PPC throws a 65gr Vmax at about 3300, that makes a really good job of old charlie and magpies etc often finish up in several bits. Last magpie I had with it (at 195 yards) was in 5 bits plus a heap of feathers and guts. 6BR has a bit more capacity and the standard .473 case head, (same as 243/308) and can shove the 65 a shade faster if you wanted it to.

It is believed in the US that the PPC has the accuracy edge under 300 yards but between 300 and 600 the 6BR is king.

Both the 6BR and the 20BR will comfortably outperform a .223 once you get over 250 yards or so. 20BR is an out and out wildcat though, you wont get a factory rifle chambered in it.

A

Id say go for a black rifle (green in my case), probably as much fun as you can have with a rifle, very manoverable when lamping, hopefully get a chance to fit a right hand charging handle on it soon!!

This is a 1-9 twist and will throw milatary surplus 5.56 accuratly to 600 for fun!

Shrek

PIC00917.jpg

Its not to bad on accuracy either :blush:

PIC00921.jpg

Hi Chim 1

It is a southern gun company rifle, That one was a brand spanker, (second hand but a fella baught to get into target shooting it an never use it :blush: )

Iv put about 400 rounds down it and its just starting to free up,

But because it was new i near enough payed new price for it about 1300, however they do appear once in awhile about the 800 quid mark on guntrader.

However they are a rifle that need to be use with caution if you shoot in an area full of urbanites, if the armed responce unit got called out and you were carrying that they'ed think you were a terroist, its a perfectly legal firearm in every right and they are alot of fun to use, not everyones cup on tea, but that ones my main vermin rifle now, as accurate as my 6BR to 300, quieter lighter and cheaper to run!

Archived