243 v 243ai

hi land have any of you changed your 243 when worn out for a 243 ai ? if so is it really worth the extra fps. or are there other things you benfit from to ?

improved accuracy ? longer brass life, ? etc

what sort of barrel twist did you have and what sort of bullets do you feed them. i no it depends on the twist rate and what you want out o the rifle ?

but some info would be nice on the matter.

also who done the work on the rifles

cheers for any advice

hi land have any of you changed your 243 when worn out for a 243 ai ? if so is it really worth the extra fps. or are there other things you benfit from to ?

improved accuracy ? longer brass life, ? etc

what sort of barrel twist did you have and what sort of bullets do you feed them. i no it depends on the twist rate and what you want out o the rifle ?

but some info would be nice on the matter.

also who done the work on the rifles

cheers for any advice

Yep I did

increased accuracy, increased range (now happy out to 1000yards) great brass life too.

I had a 1 in 8 twist 8 contour barrel fitted to shoot the 105AMax or 107HPBTM I wanted it as a range gun primarily so I wasnt worried about the weight but its also licenced for deer :P

Mine was built by Riflecraft. Andrew has built/tweaked most of my rifles now

Mark

I have had a .243 AI built this year but spent most of the year over seas so not had much chance to try it. It is a 1:8 twist to stabalise the heavier rounds. I am just in the process of loading up some 105 AMAX so I will see how that shoots but the 87 grain VMAX I was fire forming with produced consistantly sub inch groups with my best being .18 and .2 centre to centre.

001-2.jpg

I am under no ilusions that the larger groups were down to the nut behind the butt!!

IMG_1011.jpg

All the work on my rifle was done by border barrels. The way I looked at it I was going to get the rifle rebarreled any way so I might as well get it done as an ackly because I was intending on pushing the heavier rounds predominantly for deer but also for a bit of range work.

Dave

Yep I did

increased accuracy, increased range (now happy out to 1000yards) great brass life too.

I had a 1 in 8 twist 8 contour barrel fitted to shoot the 105AMax or 107HPBTM I wanted it as a range gun primarily so I wasnt worried about the weight but its also licenced for deer :P

Mine was built by Riflecraft. Andrew has built/tweaked most of my rifles now

Mark

I'm willing to bet that the increased range/accuracy was due to the quality of the build and twist selection, rather than any added ballistic qualities of the AI cartridge. ~Andrew

If ur having a custom barrel i dont see a reason not to ahve it AI'd

not like its going to cost anymore!

mine shot just as good fireforming as it did formed!

ID hav gone 1-8 if & when i do it again!

every 1-8 i hear about also shots the light stuff but when i did mine i was woried it wouldnt!

s went 1-12

cheers Andy

Can someone just put some bullet weight ranges to the twist rates of 1:8, 1:10, and 1:12 so that we less informed (me) can see where we want to be?

Whats a standard sako, 1:10 ?

• 3 weeks later...

I chose a 1:8 specifically to throw the 105/107gr pills

I was advised that I shouldnt bother with anything below 70gr and that really was the bottom.

I used to throw 58gr VMax's with the old .243Win Rem700

Mark

Can someone just put some bullet weight ranges to the twist rates of 1:8, 1:10, and 1:12 so that we less informed (me) can see where we want to be?

Whats a standard sako, 1:10 ?

Cheers, I am quite happy with the standard 243 with 80 gr bullets but might go this route myself when re-barrelling.

1 in 8 seems the option then.

Am I right in thinking with regard to reloading, the only thing to do different is to leave the round OAL too long to seat the brass and the rest is done with a pull of the trigger( with obvious safe load :blush: ). Then I'd need new dies for full sizing at some stage.

Archived