No not the pop group, the conditions at Bisley on Sunday.

It was the Dorset rifleman's 900/1000 club competition, and the conditions were horrendous, well for some of us.

I teamed up with 6BR (Dave) as usual. The 900 went quite well for me using my 7 WSM, the rain was steady as was the wind, although there were a few subtle changes.

5 sighter's and 15 to count and using a MOA V bull ( I can hear you F classer's spluttering ) I converted my 2nd and 3rd sighter's as both were V bulls and then dropped 2 points out of a possible 90. By the end of the 15 shots, we were all soaking wet and had difficulty in seeing any detail on the target, as soon as we rung out our gear and packed up the rain stopped for the 2nd squad (bastards)

We had a coffee and a nice long lunch and of course by 1.30 it had started raining again, this time I played my ace card, a one piece flight deck suit.

On to 1000 yards and only two sighter's, I had two 5's that I decided not to convert, my next two shots were both V bulls, so I was feeling good. The rain got heavier making any detail in the target impossible to see and water getting on the optics for good measure, oh and the wind started to turn which in these conditions was difficult to notice or even care about !

Then strange things started to happen, Dave was already suspicious that several of his shots had not been scored correctly and came to the conclusion that the patches were falling off the previous patched holes, this was confirmed when Dave was getting ready to take his shot and the board went down and came up scoring a five!!

By the end of the 15 shots we were literally laying in puddles of water as it ran off our water proofs and on to our range mats, most unpleasant, it even got through the zip on my flight deck suit, luckily for me home is only 1 hour away, poor Dave had a 4 hour drive.

We dried our gear as best we could and got out of our wet suits and yes you have guessed it the sun came out, just in time for the second squad to shoot (bastards)

I ended up in 9th place out of 17, I can't say I'm pleased, but another way of looking at is, I came 4th out the guys who shot in the rain, either way I was placed mid table :)

Bisley can be such a cruel mistress Ian. Well done in any case..

My club are off to Bisley on the 13th of December for our final shoot of the year at 600 yards.

It's the final of this years F class comp and myself and one other are vying for the Allcomers trophy. It's going to come down to V bulls again methinks. I've been lucky enough to win the FTR trophy this year so i'm out to make it a double.. :)

Not knowing what the weather is going to be like but being cautious i have three loads to fight with.

155 scenars, 167 scenars & 175 smk's.

My nemesis ( Howard ) will be fighting with a Browning "A" bolt moderated varminter that he really knows how to use.

For my part, my Sako 75 varminter will do me proud i'm sure so long as i do my bit..

I'll post the results when battle has been done....... :D

Grant..

Ian was rightit was f*cking awful. My balls were floating in 2 inches of water which was pooled on my shooting mat.

My scope got so full of water and my lens cloth so wet I could hardly see the target.

The butts confirmed the patches were being washed off the target, so the shot you fired was not necessarily the one you had scored :)

Ian had a shot which came out a 1 :D we challenged and the found another hole and rescored a 5!

Sadly it all became a little pointless, very frustrating and not much fun.

Though I wished I'd had a camera as the wet patch on the front of Ians jeans was not looking good.

Never mind we have the short range come on the 13th December so lets hope the weather is a bit kinder.

Grant if you are shooting on that day we are shooting 300/500/600 with the Dorset riflemen come over and say hello.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave. It was a good clean fight but i managed to read the wind a little better on the day to clinch the double.... ;)

Unlike the usual F class set up, my clubs comp entails each round to be shot with 2 sighters ( convertable ) + 10 rounds . We do this purely for economical reasons due to the high cost of reloading components.

Congrats to you for winning the Hallamshire cup with a perfect score of 150 inc 30 V's.

The wind was really twitchy at 600 yds so your 6.5 x 284 was the ideal tool for the job in hand..

Well done.... :D

Archived