Ricochet!

njc110381

Hey chaps. I had a ricochet with my .17AH the other day that was very unusual. I took a shot at a Crow from prone with a good backstop behind it. I missed the Crow due to a misjudgement of wind and heard a very strange sound. I had quite a loud ricochet, like the noise a .22lr makes when it comes up, but it was extremely brief. We're talking a fraction of a second and then silence. I think the bullet must have come up whole but then fragmented? Is that possible? The only other explaination is it stabilised itself again, but that's not likely is it? The backstop wasn't close, it was a big hill about 500 yards past the target so the bullet didn't hit it and go quiet. I've never heard anything like it before!

25 grain V-max, soft muddy ground. It confused me a little. I put it down to the ground being that wet it was like shooting at water? :P

EDIT.... What bullets are you using? I thought about trying the 20grn Midway Dogtowns because they're cheap!

I experimented with Bergers when I first got my 17AH but then I tried 20g VMax and they grouped so tight I was in lurve. And I've never had a ricochet even when I tried shooting at a slanted slate resting inside a cardboard box. The box got holes in it but the size of them showed the bullet had fragmented on contact with the slate.

Explosive is what I'm after! I'll give them a go if I can get hold of them. Does anyone know if it's legal to have them posted from the states? I'm under the impression that it's illegal to send them in the uk so would that be classed differently to receiving them?

Maybe I should just get my RFD to get some for me!

NJC,

They would need an export permit from the US. Most places won't deal with it.

From the state department website:

Part 121

(f) The following explains and amplifies the terms used in this category and elsewhere in this subchapter:

(1) The components, parts, accessories and attachments controlled in this category include, but are not limited to cartridge cases, powder bags (or other propellant charges), bullets, jackets, cores, shells (excluding shotgun shells), projectiles (including canister rounds and submunitions therefor), boosters, firing components therefor, primers, and other detonating devices for the defense articles controlled in this category.

Further in Part 123.17 are listed exemptions for arms and ammunition, however the exemptions all pertain to personal export and for personal use. If you are exporting them for sale, then you need an export license.

Thanks,

Rick

At the £-$ rate these days it's not worth the bother. 500 bullets are only £50, I can't grumble at that. I've asked my RFD if he can order from Midway.

Hopefully my rifle will like them. I'm not all that happy about having to pay £50 for 200 Bergers, that seems a little steep for a 20grn bullet!

Archived