Handloading for Remi 700 vsf 22/250

legion

Advice required for reloading for a Remi 700 vsf 22/250.

What favorite loading data can you recommend, what powder,heads and primers do you use. Does the rem 700 have a standard chamber and uses standard OAL dimensions.

Your help is much appreciated.

The Remington 700 uses a standard chamber. There is really no way to tell what will shoot in your rifle but most powders and bullets listed here

http://www.hodgdon.com/

will be a good place to start. Bullet choice will depend on how far you're shooting and what game you're after. Start low and work up! Have fun!~Andrew

Tim the easiest way is to use a poor case or sacrifice a good one and put a cut in the neck after you have sized it. Put the bullet (head) you are going to use obviously long and carefully chamber it so the bullet is pushed into the case by the chamber. Remove and measure. Do it a few times to ensure accuracy and consistency.

Voila use this measurement as your maximum and subtract whatever you decide is best from that measurement. Try to measure at the bore diameter rather than the overall length which is very variable with some heads. A sleeve with the correct hole in is best for that.

I measured to the lands using the method suggested, the figures came in at around 2.47 inchs, a factory round measured 2.35 inches, why such a difference with similar cases and heads. yours confused.

Factory ammo is manufactured very cautiously/conservatively, and needs to allow for a variety of chamber sizes, so it's sized to a minimum OAL to cater for everything. If you really want to get into playing with bullet-jump experimentation to find the optimum, I recommend the Stoney Point Chamber-All Tool, which I believe is now under the Hornady label: it's simple to use and I find it invaluable. Have you read much about handloading? If you got hold of a couple of decent manuals, this sort of thing is discussed; and I'd recommend "The ABCs of Reloading" by the late Dean Grenell, lots of used copies around on Amazon and Ebay, also available in an updated/amended edition new.

HTH, TonyH

I measured to the lands using the method suggested, the figures came in at around 2.47 inchs, a factory round measured 2.35 inches, why such a difference with similar cases and heads. yours confused.

Factory ammo should not be loaded to a greater length than that quoted in SAAMI or CIP standards which for .22-250 Rem is 2.33" SAAMI or 2.35" CIP, so yours is right on for the European standard. However, the 'freebore' on rifles, even brand new ones, is often generous for various reasons - result, the bullet sits well off the rifling when loaded to factory / SAAMI standards. The other factor is throat/rifling leade erosion, especially with fairly warm cartridges like .243 Win or .22-250 Rem. Every shot moves the rifling foward a tiny amount - it starts to be noticeable after a few hundred rounds (or a few score with some of the hotter Weatherby numbers like .30-378!).

There is no 'right answer' to cartridge length that can be quoted to and used by everybody - that's why you've got to measure the freebore on your rifle and set the seating die for it. Even the same make and model of factory rifles straight off the production line in the same calibre can vary because of the large production tolerances the factories work to, and wear and tear on the tooling. A reamer say, may cut several thousands of barrels in a short time, then is discarded as it starts to produced maximum chamber and throat tolerances. I said you usually have excessive bullet jump, but occasionally come across short-throated factory rifles too!

Laurie

Cheers for the advice, i checked my measurements using two different heads last night- 55g and 36g. Took the readings with both then measured the heads and added the difference to come up with similar readings. Now i feel confident with your advice to move forward. Thanks.

Archived