Doe Stalking

It was an early start, as I had an hours drive to my mate’s house to go Stalking, I got there at 6am.

With the weather of late, I checked the forecast and it said there would be showers, and then later on heavy rain…….I was out beating yesterday and the morning was fine, but after lunch the heavens opened………

The plan of action was I would sit in a high seat and my mate would walk the boundary, and hopefully the deer would move towards my position.

We saw two Muntjac as we drove into the estate, but we were not loaded so they will be there for another day. The weather was looking good, there was a westerly wind, but it was nice and warm in the wood.

We parked up and I made my way to the high seat, but as I was getting closer pigeons were clattering out of the tree’s, not ideal, but not a lot I could do, I didn’t think I would see any deer for a good while.

I was in the seat for about 15mins when I spotted a Roe doe out to my left some 120yards away, but there were too many branches in the way for a clear shot. Then I looked in front of me and 40yards away there were three Roe, a Doe and her two kids, they were feeding on the bramble leaves.

I settled my scope of the Doe, at 40 yards I took a head shot, quickly reloading I settled again, the two kids just stood there, I took the one next to it’s fallen mother, a kid buck another head shot, reloading I looked for the other kid, but it ran off deeper into the wood before I could get a shot off.

As long as stayed in the seat it should come back to see what’s happened to mum & brother.

Scanning around with the bins I spotted the first Roe doe back where I first saw her but she was now heading into a clearing, I ranged her at 82 yards, so settled down for the shot, settling the cross-hairs on her chest I squeezed the trigger and she dropped on the spot. I chambered another round and checked the doe, she gave a few kicks and that was her.

Another 10mins passed then the young Doe came out to see what was going on, 120 yards away I settled on the chest and squeezed off my shot, at my shot the Doe ran off!!!!

I felt that my shot was good, but it ran off……….I checked my watch 8:05am, so I would give it a good 10-20mins before I would get down and search for it.

Looking round I didn’t see anything, so just settled down and marking the spot where the Doe was standing in my mind ready for the search. I glanced round to my left checking the other doe, and then a small brown shape caught my eye, I checked through the bins and it was a Doe muntjac, but there was no chance of a shot because of all the small branches.

It was heading for where the Roe doe was lying, then it just disappeared, I scanned with my bins but couldn’t see it at all.

Then 20yards in front of me the muntjac doe was there, I moved a bit too quickly, she saw the movement but came closer, she walked past a tree so I got ready for when she came into view, and she stopped, I placed the gross-hairs on it’s head and dropped her on the spot.

After that I decided to get down and look for the Doe that ran off, and all the others were dropped on the spot.

I got the point where the doe was standing when I shot her, plenty of pins and blood, and a bit of lung, then looking to my right I could see the doe some 20yards in the wood.

A great morning stalking and especially as I haven’t been stalking since the beginning of June.

DanFoxing018.jpg

Looks like you had a good day :)

I'm presuming that you used the 270?

What bullet do you use?

ATB Toby

Hi Toby,

Yes mate i was using the .270, but when we are out stalking MUNTJAC ONLY i'll be taking the .222 :D

Currently using winchester 130gn soft point,s but i have reloaded some sierra 135gn HP, but not had chance to get out and test them on paper with the weather we have had of late.

Thats a day to remember kip!!!

Nice one buddy!!! :):D

All the best............................

RAY.....................................

Archived