Vehicle Mounted Lamp Solutions

I need a vehicle mounted lamp for single handed lamping trips and as far as I can tell there are a few options available to me.

Lightforce, Cluson., Go-Light and Roto Light.

I cant drill holes in the vehicle being used and I want a portable solution so I can use on different vehicles so that rules out the roof mounted solution from Lightforce which is a shame as I have used that extensively in the past and find it hard to beat. As a result I am leaning towards a lightforce solution as I use their lamps on my scopes for both rim and centre fire.

If I were to go the route of lightforce I could use the Support a Light product:

http://www.lampingsupplies.co.uk/shop.asp?ID=26

c£99.50

Or the Extension arm:

http://www.deben.com/lights_lamping/lightf...tension_arm.php

c£110

And a new lamp to mount on it:

http://www.countrykeeper.net/index.php/ ... flyer.html

£104.00

No need for filters as my existing ones will fit I think.

I have not used either solutions in the past and can see pro’s and cons of each. But I am not sure if I can use the extension arm solution due to one of the vehicles I will be using is a Disc with roof bars.

Not sure if I have enough room to fit the bar under?

Light2.jpg

I have about 2.5" clearance under the bar.

Light1.jpg

Clearance I don’t think is enough and mounting it forward of the roof bars may not be an option as the roof slopes down to almost vertical where it joins the top of the windscreen. If mounted there the remote handle would need to be adjusted so that the lamp is not pointing at the floor, not sure if that adjustment is possible?

That aside, as I said I see pros and cons for each.

The extension bar solution looks favourite for 2 reasons, you can close the window when required, not totally but enough to keep the rain and wind out if travelling between permissions or sat up waiting in ambush.

There is also no metal support work in the window opening that may or may not interfere with the rifle and shot as there us with the support a light.

Both look like they are relatively quick to remove and set up though. And the support a light would be a very secure mount not relying on suction cups to fox it to the roof.

Has anyone got any direct experience of using either set up and care to comment on the solutions?

I have a Disco (still!!) with similar roof rails.

I use the Lightforce bar with suction cups, I mount it in front of the bars.

http://www.lightforce.net.au/products/port...ounting-options

My UK retailer said I could not put a 240 on it, the picture on the link shows a 240. Lightforce Au sorted the job for me so it can be done.

I have used mine for about 10 years, not that often in fairness but it works well, The handle folds up to allow the drivers door to open.

A

Buy a couple of the lever operated suction cups for lifting glass/ windscreens and make your own extension tube to fasten to them with say a couple of 6mm bolts with lock nuts. I got two from the local JTF wholesale for I think £7.00 each plus a short length of 30mm television aluminium pole for £2.00 and cut the bracket out of 3mm alloy sheet with a coping saw and metal blade total cost less than 20quid and it works fine, my sons nicked it at the moment :angry:

Redfox

Hi Saundersj89

I can't comment on either set up BUT,

I may be able to help you out if your interested ?? Back in the days when I had to have very gizmo and gadget going, I purchased the above. It's hidden in the depths of my reloading room a brand new never used or even assembled/mounted extension arm c/w remote handle.

All my lamping now is done on foot, round here there's either always crops planted/growing or the fields are too wet too drive.

Let me dig it out at the weekend (Not home till then), and I'll post some piccy's, if your interested we'll talk further.

Steve

PS please remind me if I forget :angry:

Guest Scotland Rifles

I have the sucker mounted one from light force,

with a 140 lamp on it and i have used it on a landy. my works van my vitara soft top (on the windscreen) and now on my hard top vitara with roof bars.

can't get better in my mind.

and i would never cut a 52mm hole in my roof, so this was the best thing for me.

bob.

http://www.deben.com/lights_lamping/lightf...ort-a-light.php

I use the above system and can easily swap between vehicles as needed. It is quick and easy to change, simply clamping in the gap between where the window normally is and the top of the door frame, and is held very securely in place. The downsides I have found are that the power wire trails around the steering wheel if you use the cigarette lighter to power the lamp and the vertical support strut can get in the way of your rifle depending on the angle. If one person is lamping and one is shooting it is great. Regards, Jim

Steve.......you were a little to late I am afriad, having spoken to the supplier I found on line with the best price I have ordered my set up, from Solway Feeders.

I have used them before and their prices were far better than any others I could find, even my local gun shop who I get a discount from.

I should have the kit by the weekend and will be out with it soon after I suspect!

Thanks for all your help chaps.

Steve.......you were a little to late I am afriad, having spoken to the supplier I found on line with the best price I have ordered my set up, from Solway Feeders.

I have used them before and their prices were far better than any others I could find, even my local gun shop who I get a discount from.

I should have the kit by the weekend and will be out with it soon after I suspect!

Thanks for all your help chaps.

Glad to hear your sorted out, let us know how you get on with it.

ATB

Steve

Hi Saundersj89

I can't comment on either set up BUT,

I may be able to help you out if your interested ?? Back in the days when I had to have very gizmo and gadget going, I purchased the above. It's hidden in the depths of my reloading room a brand new never used or even assembled/mounted extension arm c/w remote handle.

All my lamping now is done on foot, round here there's either always crops planted/growing or the fields are too wet too drive.

Let me dig it out at the weekend (Not home till then), and I'll post some piccy's, if your interested we'll talk further.

Steve

PS please remind me if I forget :)

I am interested in buying this if it's still for sale any chance of a look at the piccy's as well, your PM box is full by the way, please PM me to let me know what you've got and how much you are looking for.

Thanks,

Mark.

I am interested in buying this if it's still for sale any chance of a look at the piccy's as well, your PM box is full by the way, please PM me to let me know what you've got and how much you are looking for.

Thanks,

Mark.

Hi Mark

Just walked thru the door after a week away, if I head off into the reloading room I'll get de bagged :):D

I'll find it tomorrow and post some piccy's and PM you, but it's the same as these.

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_det...?productID=1091

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_det...?productID=1094

Cheers Steve

Thanks. :D

Mark.

Mark,

Apologies for the delay, I've had a bad day. First the camera was flat, then lost my Photo Bucket account details, so opened a new account, and have spent approxiamately the last one and half hours trying to upload pictures to no avail. :):D

Bare with me, I'm sure it's something simple, second thought's could you pm me your e-mail address and I'll send them that way. ;)

Also praying the rain stays away, need a night out ;);)

Steve

Kit arrived and all wired up and I have tried two positions, first on the windscreen:

Rooflight1.jpg

And with the handle raised so you can open the door without it fouling.

Rooflight2.jpg

This is fine and nice secure mount, I certainly could not pull it from the glass, but the handle protruded too low and would have been in the way if I used the wing mirror to support the rifle in a shot, so I tried mounting on the roof:

Rooflight3.jpg

This was OK if I placed the suction cups just forward of the roof rail, handle nicely out of the way and the light nearly 8” higher, so I think that is the best solution of the two tried. Handle nicely located for my right hand and all wires tucked out of the way.

Just got to try it out now!

Hats off to Solway Feeders who supplied the kit, far cheaper than a few other suppliers I checked and very good to deal with on the phone.

Bottom pic is more or less how I run my Disco set up. I run the supply into a DIN socket on the nearside inner wing under the bonnet, this is supplied from the battery with an in line fuse in the posative side. I used to run the cable straight down to the front edge of the bonnet but caught it with a bullet one night when following a walking fox round the A post. Another miss !!.

A

Bottom pic is more or less how I run my Disco set up. I run the supply into a DIN socket on the nearside inner wing under the bonnet, this is supplied from the battery with an in line fuse in the posative side. I used to run the cable straight down to the front edge of the bonnet but caught it with a bullet one night when following a walking fox round the A post. Another miss !!.

A

How did you wire the battery end of the set, direct of the battery terminals? What are the fuse/wire/plug ratings? All 10amp?

• 2 weeks later...

Now sorted as well, Big thanks to Steve, top bloke to deal with.

Also used Solway feeders for the lamp purchase along with a few spares, well worth a look folks prices are as stated before hard to beat, quick polite service all round.

Now sorted as well, Big thanks to Steve, top bloke to deal with.

Also used Solway feeders for the lamp purchase along with a few spares, well worth a look folks prices are as stated before hard to beat, quick polite service all round.

Thanks Mark, it was a pleasure.

Archived