keeping dry on the firing point

Having got fairly comprehensively drowned on Sunday at Bisley and wrecked a gazebo in the wind, I just wondered if any of you have a top tip for keeping rifles at least mainly dry?

P.S. Could you F class guys see anything at 900yds?

Having got fairly comprehensively drowned on Sunday at Bisley and wrecked a gazebo in the wind, I just wondered if any of you have a top tip for keeping rifles at least mainly dry?

As for keeping kit dry i have a piece of clear plastic that goes over the scope back to front and a bit , and cut out for scope turret and flops over so you can keep ammo and bolt and action dry and it seems to work

F Class

Was a wash out sunday did not happen could not see targets went home some went to the bar !

Having got fairly comprehensively drowned on Sunday at Bisley and wrecked a gazebo in the wind, I just wondered if any of you have a top tip for keeping rifles at least mainly dry? ..

Yeh, shift to a drier country :DB)

I pity you guys weather-wise. The Brits are renowned here as brilliant in dealing with shooting in the rain. I've been the same squad as some at the Nationals and they make it look easy. We don't get to use wet weather gear much, though Trentham is wetter than most places in NZ.

Chris-NZ

Aah that would explain the spanish team in the london & Middlesex. We were having enough difficulty in seeing the target at 200yds at times. Afternoon was great though not many people left shooting for some reason. B)

Aah that would explain the spanish team in the london & Middlesex. We were having enough difficulty in seeing the target at 200yds at times. Afternoon was great though not many people left shooting for some reason. :P

Amazingly, people were hitting things - and it was 1,000yd too as the 900yd stage was cancelled due to the weather. One of the few F-Open boys to finish had 93 !!

I was record keeping for the GB F/TR 'Red' team and most shots were scoring four or five by Russell Simmonds and Adam Bagnall. Russell had to come off the point after 10 score shots to dry his chamber out after getting high pressures from water in the works. Adam went on and finished on a 'V' after a string of fours and fives.

The rain was so heavy by then (at 0905) that we couldn't see the board clearly enough through good quality 10-power binos to see the score marker position! That was when the match was abandonned, partly because of the visibility, but also on safety grounds because several shooters were suffering Russell's problem. The sheer quantity of water coming down and the strength / angle of the wind made it impossible to ensure a dry action / cartridges.

Shame!

Laurie

Not sure how well it would go down at Bisley, but when out doing a bit of the long range bunny bashing in the past we have used pegged out poncho's with bivi poles in the center, keep things nice and dry and provide a bit of wind protection.

Now I have an image of you pinned out like gulliver! Wernt enough people to worry about at Bisley and everyone was doing what ever necessary to stay dry. I did wonder about one of those flexible tubes that they use for dog agility ...

Archived