.308 Norma Magnum

l4oth

Does anyone have any experience of the .308 Norma Magnum calibre?

I've got a set or reloading dies and am wondering whether or not to make the next logical step and have a rifle built in the calibre - seems a shame to see the dies sat their being unused :rolleyes:

Stephen.

I have a 308 Norma Magnum. It is a heck of a cartridge and ballistically equivalent to the 30-338 round the U.S. Army uses for competition. The loading data is identical. Mine is a BSA factory sporter. Think of it as a long necked 300 Win Mag.

It is a very accurate cartridge but it is obsolete, at least on this side of the pond. Probably easier for you to get Norma brass.

Still, having a set of dies and needing a rifle built to match sounds like something I would do. (I once bought a $1200 rifle, $4 a casing brass, and $250 reloading dies to make use of a bullet mold I paid $11 for at a gunshow...) Which makes it both perfectly acceptable and quite looney at the same time. :rolleyes: ~Andrew

I have a 308 Norma Magnum. It is a heck of a cartridge and ballistically equivalent to the 30-338 round the U.S. Army uses for competition. The loading data is identical. Mine is a BSA factory sporter. Think of it as a long necked 300 Win Mag.

It is a very accurate cartridge but it is obsolete, at least on this side of the pond. Probably easier for you to get Norma brass.

Still, having a set of dies and needing a rifle built to match sounds like something I would do. (I once bought a $1200 rifle, $4 a casing brass, and $250 reloading dies to make use of a bullet mold I paid $11 for at a gunshow...) Which makes it both perfectly acceptable and quite looney at the same time. ;) ~Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for the reply - thought I would draw a blank, but just goes to show.

Think your rationale with the bullet mold makes my decision look like a "no brainer" (it is a Redding "deluxe" die set, worth much more than $11).

Appreciating your rifle is a sporter, what is the rifle like from the recoil perspective?

I'll have a look over here and see what brass availability will be like and hopefully then I can get cracking :rolleyes:

Stephen.

Archived