Another re-barrel question!

njc110381

Hey guys. I think I've found the Win Mag I've been waiting for. It's an old Sako L61R and at a fair price. I've read that it's a good action? I'm not sure if in the long run I'd like a heavier barrel on it, is it possible to put a smaller end varmint barrel onto that action? Nothing massive, something semi heavy if you know what I mean?

The simple answer I think is yes, but I wouldnt put anything heavier than an .800" muzzle diameter tube as it may be a bit heavy for the action - they have a relatively short barrel tenon.

Of course you could bedd under the first inch or two of the barrel chamber area to remove some of this, but it isnt ideal...

They used to do what is on the continent called a "Jagd Match" barrel version, literally hunt/match,

My 243 L579 is one of these and I have never found it to be lacking in accuracy either on the range or in the field, but it is still a carry all day rifle. I can if Ronin requires give him the dimensions as I still have the original (1969) handbook. :D

Agood all round action and the trigger can be nicely tuned to sensible pullweights, mine is 2 1/4 lbs and like breaking glass as they say, pull weight is far less important than the actual "let off" which is acheived by polishing and setting of the scears by someone who really knows what they are doing.

The unknowing/unskilled will just create a rifle which is an accident looking for somewhere to happen ( literally lethal ), we have a number of gunsmiths on here who can do this safely and at a reasonable cost for you, with the peace of mind that it is safe.

Redfox

Archived