Barrel life

Hi, A question on barrel life.

270 stalking rifle that fires standard factory ammo with stalking use (1 shot or two per outing) with a max number through it to zero/confirm zero it in every year off twenty rounds. Cleaned using bore guide and foam (no brass brush) and groups after about 400 rounds and a few years at 100yards a three shot group of about 5/8" inch.

I was talking to a dealer (no names) who said i should think about replacing it soon as it will start shooting with very poor grouping as the barrel life was about up?

What is the typical barrel life of a 270 that has never even got hot?

Kinda feel that dealer was at it but I ask the question from this forum what is the life?

Thanks in advance for any answers. T

Yes the dealer was probably as you say 'at it'. If that rifle is grouping at 5/8 inch with factory then theres probably not a lot wrong with it. Yes its a .270, yes they're rough on throats. However its a low round count and you're obviously looking after it. I reckon you would get 1500 rds (very conservative) with no degradation in accuracy all other things being equal (i.e. you don't stalk on the west coast 50yds from the sea and then leave the rifle damp!).

Regards

Gareth

Yeh, I'd agree Gareth. It should be nothing surprising to get 2000 rounds out of one which gets such nice treatment.

My old BSA has definitely had over 1500 through it, including some very heated sessions on goats where you couldn't touch the barrel coz it was so hot.. The throat is a bit rough on the cleaning patch but it still shoots under an inch which is plenty good enough for big game

The dealer seems def on the make.

Chris-NZ

here is a barrel life calculator, mind you it is not a lot of good if you dont reload.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/barrellifeupdate.xls

Not sure that will work but teh programme is downloadable from here

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/...ful-barrel-life

A

This year Bisley moved to RWS standard 7.62 ammunition but before they did so they conducted a range of tests, as reported in their magazine. I was interested to see that one of the test rifles they used had a Lothar Wather barrel that had had 10,000 (that's ten thousand) rounds through it and it was still grouping as well as the other rifles at 1,000 yards.

That's a 7.62 not a 270 I know but maybe a reminder that we sometimes retire barrels before they're really worn out.

Cornishman

Anyone know what the barrel life should be on a AI in 7.62 ?

Depends how you define 'barrel life' and the desired standard of accuracy. A 308W that really groups (say quarter to third MOA) will likely lose its edge at around 3,500 rounds (but still group around half-inch) and gradually deteriorate after that. Lots of NRA 7.62mm Target Rifle shooters are still using their barrels at 6,000-7,000 rounds, but remember the TR target 'bull' is 2-MOA in diameter.

The other factor is of course what you shoot through it, and how you shoot. The NRA issue ammo is 7.62mm proof, around 2,000 psi below a full-house .308 Winchester load with a relatively light (155gn) bullet. Load your AI ammo up with heavier bullets to a true maximum load, and shoot fast so the barrel throat gets red hot and you'll reduce the effective barrel life.

It's not bullet-bore friction that wears a barrel out, but the heat and pressure in the throat area just ahead of the chamber. The surfaces erode away from the chamber / cartridge case so the start of the rifling moves forwards (by around 20 thou' per 1,000 rounds with a moderate 308 load), also the surface roughens and firecracks, so that under a borescope it eventually looks like crocodile skin. Barrels often shoot well with quite severe firecracking in this area until a particularly large / deep / wide crack appears then accuracy does down the toilet suddenly.

Anyway to answer your question, with reasonable pressure loads, you should get at least 5,000 rounds out of an AI barrel.

Laurie

Archived