one for one variation

Millwall Paul

Hi,

I've just spoken to my FEO about a variation for my FAC. I want to get rid of my 22lr Anchutz 1417 and buy a 223. He has said that I don't want to do a 1 for 1 variatioon as it would mean that I can only get rid of the 22 to a dealer and would need to get a temporary permit for the 22 because of getting the 223. I'm really confused as I was going to part ex the 22 anyway, but was under the impresion that it would be like part exing a car. I.E. I go to the gun shop they take the 22 and sell me the 223 that I want and alter my licence accordingly and hence I wouldn't have both rifles in my possesion at once? As this is my first time getting rid of a rifle could someone offer me some advice please?

The FEO has also told me I really don't want to get rid of the 22 as I may need it in the future and may as well keep it and may as well just get a new rifle added to my ticket. If I do that is it possible to get my licence varied so that I have authority to dispose of the 22 and purchase a new 223? Or is that what a one for one is?

Sorry but I'm more confused now than before I spoke to my FEO.

All advice would be greatly recieved.

If you have made an arrangement with the dealer to take your .22 rimmy in part exchange take it to him and get a receipt for its purchase telling him what is going on. [ As a measure of good faith you could also pay him the difference he needs from you for the new weapon. ]

Notify the Police immediately by recorded delivery that you have sold it to him and send a copy of the receipt and then ask for a one-for-one replacement by the calibre of your choice.

At this time you will have NO firearm in your possession and will therefore be entitled to the free `one-for-one`.

If you retain the .22RF you will have to pay for a `variation` as you will be increasing the number of items held, remember also that the Police view such items as a sound moderator as another firearm.

This is how I have done similar transactions over the years with no problems.

HWH.

hi paul,

sadly the fire arms world is not as simple as you would hope. your feo is quite right as you need to dispose of your one rifle be fore you are allowed to purchase another .

in your case it is slightly more complicated as you want to go from a rimfire to centre fire rifle a straight one for one is unlikly as it is normally only for rifles of the same calabier ie one 223 sporter profile been part ex against say a 223 with a varmint profile barrel as the conditions attached wont be affected or the constraints of any ground permissions wont alter . as you are aware the range and performance of a 223 are vastly different to a 22lr .

what he is offering and advising is common sense in that you applie for a variation to hold a 223 as well as your 22lr thus you gain the new rifle whilst retaining your rimfire and then you have the best of both worlds . as far as i am aware there would be nothing to stop you disposing of your 22lr after wards but you would surender the right to buy a replcement in the future as all tickets are issued with permission to buy or to possess ( a one for one effectively restores that permission on to your new fac which is issued after the sale of existing rifle )

a one for one variation usually works where you wish to change rifles of the same caliber even then the best way to go about it is to do as you have and enquire to the feo how they wish you to proceed normally after getting the verbal go ahead you will be required to dispose of your existing rifle first normally to the rfd you you are buying the new rifle off as a part exchange then you send your fac and the notificatication of sale in to them for your one to one to take place and what they basically do is reissue you with a new fac to buy a new rifle of the same caliber normally occurs within a week or if your lucky as we are in warwickshire whilst you wait and drink a cup of coffee from the machine if we liase with them.

then you go and purchase you new rifle and send the notification in as when you bought the first one and you are up and running.

so from what i can gather you will need to apply for a variation to aquire a 223 rifle giving the resons required ie fox and vermin control whilst you are at it you may as well apply for a moderator as you still have to pay your 26 quid regardless all you need to put for the reason is health and saftey hearing protection then you will need to state your ammo requirement normally restricted on a first grant so ask you feo what they normally are happy with then providing your permissions to shoot and ground are safe you shouldnt have any problems.

graham.

As tempting as it may seem cashing in your 22 is a bad idea in my opinion and I would agree with the advice given by your FEO.

Yes it would give you some money towards the purchase but i think most people would agree a 22 rimfire will always have it's uses, so i would add to it rather than replace it.

I would suggest going for the variation which is the same form as you applied for your licence and ask for the sound mod at the same time even if you have no immediate intention to buy one. One two or more items still costs you £26 so it isn't per item but if you decided to buy a mod later in effect it would be as you will have to spend £52.

The mod slot could be used for a future one for one and so saving you £26 if you don't use it for a mod but used it for a future rifle.

I did a similar thing by asking for a 17hmr on renewal but eventually swopped the slot for another moderator.

Hopefully you are now better informed but if anything is unclear the lads on here will help you, so just ask.

Just a newbie chipping in.

I once thought I could sell one rifle and buy another without formalities too. Wrong. What I did do in the end was sell one rifle and apply for another slot to replace it within the week. This was free and readily granted. It doesnt matter whether the new rifle is of a different calibre (subject to having permission to shoot over suitable land)

On another occasion I bought a new rifle of the same calibre, applied for a variation to aquire it and at the same time applied for a permit to keep my existing rifle for 3 months so I could sell it. That was free too. Permit was granted for 3 months - saved me paying an RFD to store it while I was waiting for it to sell. Devon and Cornwall Police - pretty good bunch - quick and genrally good humoured - specially Maggie.

I live in West Cornwall BTW and I have yet to enter the world of centrefire. I am a bit nervous about it mainly because I fear I might become addicted to hand loading and ammo testing. I fear its in my nature!

Archived