Zeiss or Sightron for Lamping and Varminting

legion

i would have the zeiss victory. maybe this year i will get one if i save hard and do abit of swapping and changing with other kit

I found a web ad from cluny clays with the price of the swarovski z6i 5-30x50 £500 cheaper than any where else, a bargain- i ordered one by e-mail, Robin was soon on the phone explaining the ad was a mistake, being a Yorkshireman " yes , your mistake says i wheres my scope".

Now Robin being a Fifer started to sweat, after a entertaining dual i became the proud owner of the scope.

I can recommend Cluny optics for a good deal and dont be frightened to haggle-he enjoys the challenge.

cheers Tim.

Legion

A good choice and I'll be replacing two Zeiss Victorys with them in the near future :)

Thats when the Zeiss UK staff can get all their varying stories straight and can actually tell me where one of them is and when its coming back of course :mad:

I was however wrong when I gave them 0 out of 10 for service.It should have been a minus :lol:

I would go for the Zeiss every time. I've got the 6-24 with the 60 reticle and it's a great bit of kit.

Wsm, I'm sure if you send an e-mail to someone reasonably senior at Zeiss UK explaining your 0/10 service rating they will be able to sort out your problems. I contacted them once or twice and they were very helpful. You mentioned faulty RF binos, surely they offered to replace or fix them under warranty?

I would go for the Zeiss every time. I've got the 6-24 with the 60 reticle and it's a great bit of kit.

Wsm, I'm sure if you send an e-mail to someone reasonably senior at Zeiss UK explaining your 0/10 service rating they will be able to sort out your problems. I contacted them once or twice and they were very helpful. You mentioned faulty RF binos, surely they offered to replace or fix them under warranty?

20Tac

I've been on the phone to all the folks at Zeiss both in the sports optics division and others (when they're not in a meeting for two days) and all agree that the service isn't what it should be.The problem is that they all give different excuses and stories.This morning I've had seperate e-mails and voice messages with two different explanations of where a scope is that was sent away 8 weeks ago.This to me says that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing and not what you'd expect from a company the size of Zeiss.

As far as the RF binos goes they lost vacuum in one lens after two outings.They were sent back to Zeiss UK who agreed they should be replaced but the repairs manager needed to give the OK.He agreed they needed replacing but needed the manager to OK it.He agreed but then needed to send them back to Germany for them to OK his OK :) This took three weeks in all when this should have been resolved by return with such an obvious fault.If Zeiss UK don't have the authority to make decisions why are they there ?Surely it;d be quicker to just send them directly to Germany and cut out one level of burocracy

Fortunatey the optics mentioned above are both mine but if they were a customer of ours they quite rightly wouldn't be impressed if we passed on these excuses

On top of this you've obviously read Garys experience with them so this is three instances that I'm aware of where things have gone wrong so I can't put it down to one bad experience :mad:

We've sent stuff back to Swarovski under similar circumstances and things couldn't be more different with them.Worth bearing in mind when you're spending such large amounts on optics :lol:

20Tac

I've been on the phone to all the folks at Zeiss both in the sports optics division and others (when they're not in a meeting for two days) and all agree that the service isn't what it should be.The problem is that they all give different excuses and stories.This morning I've had seperate e-mails and voice messages with two different explanations of where a scope is that was sent away 8 weeks ago.This to me says that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing and not what you'd expect from a company the size of Zeiss.

As far as the RF binos goes they lost vacuum in one lens after two outings.They were sent back to Zeiss UK who agreed they should be replaced but the repairs manager needed to give the OK.He agreed they needed replacing but needed the manager to OK it.He agreed but then needed to send them back to Germany for them to OK his OK :) This took three weeks in all when this should have been resolved by return with such an obvious fault.If Zeiss UK don't have the authority to make decisions why are they there ?Surely it;d be quicker to just send them directly to Germany and cut out one level of burocracy

Fortunatey the optics mentioned above are both mine but if they were a customer of ours they quite rightly wouldn't be impressed if we passed on these excuses

On top of this you've obviously read Garys experience with them so this is three instances that I'm aware of where things have gone wrong so I can't put it down to one bad experience :mad:

We've sent stuff back to Swarovski under similar circumstances and things couldn't be more different with them.Worth bearing in mind when you're spending such large amounts on optics :lol:

That does sound unfortunate. If I were you I would send an e-mail of complaint to the head of Zeiss UK, whoever that is, who would then be able to sort the problem out, rather than various people you've spoken to agreeing that the service is bad, but can't actually do much about it.

These do seem to be isolated incidents, most people are more than happy with their Zeiss purchase. I wouldn't hesistate to recommend them to anyone. I've even got one very old Zeiss scope, and they've been totally 'bulletproof'.

Andrew

Andrew

I've been in contact with the second in command of Zeiss but the head man seems to be somewhat elusive to say the least :lol:

They say the mark of a product is the service when things go wrong and thats where the problem lies in the cases I've highlighted

I do like Zeiss but couldn't honestly recommend them with the present level of service I've seen recently :mad:

Andrew,

I've had 'old' Zeiss over 20 years ago and now 'new'Zeiss . I also have Nightforce and Leupold . Although optically the Zeiss is extremely clear, I would not purchase another and neither would I recommend Zeiss to anyone else either.

Cluny clays are agents for zeiss and Swarovski, i compared both makes side by side and could not see much difference in the optics, the Z6I was more user friendly Robin said Swarovski after sales service was second to none, a big plus as the scopes have thirty year warrenty.

Archived