The Best .20 Cal

Ballistic Hamster

Depends what you want it to do.

Todd Kindler recons the 40gr is limited to about 600 yards, the Berger 50 gr will go to around 800yards. That or course is hyperthetical.

Under 300 yards then there is not a lot of ballistic difference between the two bullets but over 300 then the 50gr kicks butt.

Best case for the 40gr? (also look at the 39gr Sierra Blitz King, reconed by most to be better accuracy wise the the 40gr Vmax) 20 Practical (no neck turn 223 case). 20 tactical (neck turn 223 case) or the PPC case. That will get you into the 3600+ velocity area and maybe up to 3800. Best accuracy will be found usually at a lower speed. 20PPC will I am sure add his 20PPC experiance in due course.

I am running a heavy (14lb) 20BR using mainly Berger 50s in a 1 in 9 twist.

20BRReadytorock.jpg

I have published here my load development work to date, just do a searth on 20BR. The 40 did not go so well. maybe due to my fast twist. Work has precluded any more development since August.

If I was doing another 20 today I would do a lightweight walking rifle in 20 Vartarg, this is the .221 Fireball case necked down. Sub 300 yards this looks like a cracking set up for a walking foxer. Use either 32 or 39/40 pills depending on twist. If it was my only 20 then 20BR using the big Berger is where its at for me.

A

Having a 20 practical built at the moment, cant wait for it to be finished. I really think its personal preference and very much what you intend to do with it. I like the idea of a 20 br but I had a load of lapua 223 brass kicking around and wanted something a bit different. There 5 at the moment that are popular:

20 vartag

20 practical

20 tactical

20 ppc

20 br

there are also:

20-250

20 swift

20 satan (20x47 lapua)

They all have different uses from walking round rifles to 1000 yard f class rifles.

Watch out sub calibres are addictive, havent even got my first already thinking about a 2nd

Archived