Hunting Boar in England

i have been offed for free a bit of boar shooting down south ,now i only have the 25-06 for deer do you think the police will let me use this on boar as i will need to put it on my ticket ..i did ask for boar to be put on my ticket when i first asked for my 25-06 but got turned down because they said there is not any boar in the uk (staffordshire police).which we all know there is

i have been offed for free a bit of boar shooting down south ,now i only have the 25-06 for deer do you think the police will let me use this on boar as i will need to put it on my ticket ..i did ask for boar to be put on my ticket when i first asked for my 25-06 but got turned down because they said there is not any boar in the uk (staffordshire police).which we all know there is

I was granted wild boar for my 7.62/.308 by my force. I just sent in a copy of the shoot contract for a paid day I was attending in Scotland.

Get it in writing and resend it. 25-06 is in the same category as .308, therefore if you provide 'good reason' in the form of written permission, technically they cannot refuse you.

not that i know anything bout boar....but

by reputation they are supposed to be hardy buggers to drop.....

now granted if you put bullet in right place we all know it drops...

i have .25-06 love it but wouldnt have thought it classed as suitable for boar.....police

maybe "classify" it the same as .308

i have heard few folks say minimum calibre they would recommend would be .30cal.

just what ive read and taken to understand .

wouldnt mind some morre experienced folks opinion?

good posting bigun

sauer

well if mikes right i will have to leave it as i dont want any more rifles just yet ,will just have to use my mates 7mm rem mag that will be shooting next to me on the day ..

I've read in several places that .270 is considered to be the minimum. That said, the .25-06 isn't far behind it really, so with a bit of reasoning I think you have a good chance. It depends on your force. Are they fair people or tough to deal with? I'd say bigger calibres help if you shoot them running, if they're standing still so you can hit them right smaller guns work. I know of a chap who shoots them in the head with a .243 and they drop just like the average Deer.

Well done on getting the Boar shooting. I've wanted to have a go at that for some time, I think I need to find a pay per day stalker that offers them.

As already said by others I too was of the opinion that .270 was the minimum with .308 a good common choice.

Nobodys slating the 25-06 but I think it would be a bit on the light side IMHO.

A good old 180 grainer from my 308 would be my first line.

A friend shot a young boar with his 25-06 at around 50 yards broadside. I don't know what load he was using but suspect 120gr sp. The bullet did not exit and apparently the boar didn't even twitch before ambling off. No reaction to the shot whatsoever despite the fact that on being gralloched the heart was completely destroyed. This was a young pig with an estimated 70kg live weight. His comment was 'I think I need a bigger gun'. The boar didn't make it very far but even a few yards is a right pain in the thick stuff. Also they're not all as small as this. Anyhow, thats one persons experience with the 25-06.

If you have the option of borrowing a larger rifle then I think I would go for that. 7mm rem mag would be lovely with some heavy bullets.

Regards

Gareth

I think if I was to get a regular Boar shoot in this country I'd buy myself a .444 Marlin. Those 265 grain Leverevolution bullets look like they offer some serous stopping power!

A friend shot a young boar with his 25-06 at around 50 yards broadside. I don't know what load he was using but suspect 120gr sp. The bullet did not exit and apparently the boar didn't even twitch before ambling off. No reaction to the shot whatsoever despite the fact that on being gralloched the heart was completely destroyed. This was a young pig with an estimated 70kg live weight. His comment was 'I think I need a bigger gun'. The boar didn't make it very far but even a few yards is a right pain in the thick stuff. Also they're not all as small as this. Anyhow, thats one persons experience with the 25-06.

If you have the option of borrowing a larger rifle then I think I would go for that. 7mm rem mag would be lovely with some heavy bullets.

Regards

Gareth

Hi a place i worked once had wild boar to turn over the ground & they had an esapee a round 50kg-70kg mark. It was shot with a 308 with 150g nosler hunting balistic tip at 50yrd & the bullet dident exit it. I personally would quite happilly use my 25/06 on boar & think it would do the job but i could be very wrong. I know how dangours these animals are & the one's we had were very tame i used to go in with them all the time & they liked the odd rabbit i left that i had shot in there open pen too.

Boar and pigs are by there nature carnivorous, did you see the news report from the USA where the man fed a load of people to his pigs, yikes :D . I havent shot boar yet, but all the advise I have been given is big and slow or big and fast, either way just make it a big bullet, hence I acquired a 7mm rem mag should be good medicine for a boar of any sizes. 9.3x62 is very popular on the continent for boar along with 7x57 8x57 8x68. 308 is good 300 winchester magnum better. Just make sure it shoots straight angry boar are not fun friends lol. I look forward to reading about your boar exploits.

its what i say to clients that come to shoot sika stags with 300wm-338s .if the shot is not placed right you will never see them again.

the difference between the 25,06 and 270 is a thing of nothing, the animal will not notice the difference.

i would print out a comparison of the two calls and submit it .

they still alow 22,250 hear for sika stags .so its hard to talk to some one in a office.

• 2 weeks later...

The Table at the end of Chapter 13 Firearms Guidance Rules 2002 (Good Reason to Posess a Firearm) states that deer and other large quarry, which includes feral goat and boar, is good reason for a .243 and 6mm. However, I believe that DEFRA has stated that their recommended minimum calibre is 7mm. I have a letter from my Police Firearms Department stating that they would only authorise me to use my rifles that are 7mm and upwards for boar, in line with DEFRA's recommendation.

13:25 of the "Guidance" says "The type of rifle authorised should be appropriate to the quarry species, for example .270, .30-06 or

.308 or greater for wild boar."

I am not sure whether using a smaller calibre is illegal or not. I read it as being legal but against Defra's recommendation. However, the rifle you use should appear on your certificate as authorised for boar or other suitable wording that covers that activity.

In Germany the legal minimum calibre is 7mm.

I would assume and this is only my opinion and I am certainly no authority on this, that the police or any courts (revocation of licence etc) would rely on the opinion of DEFRA and not go against their guidance of best practice. Therefore I personally would follow their advice which as has been said here is basically revolving around 270 - 30 cal plus.

It might not be the answer you wanted but the weight of opinion seems to back this up.

Ensure you have the boar notation on your licence.

• 2 weeks later...

I know people that have used .243 and 6.5x55 (156gn Oryx) for boar successfully, but Mike Eveleigh of BASC has told me he has a boar skull with a divot on it, the divot was made by a .243 and the .243 did not kill the boar.

Defra are looking at the boar/calibre conundrum again at the moment and are seriously considering moving up their recommendation from .270 to a .308 with a 160gn bullet as a minimum.

ft

I know people that have used .243 and 6.5x55 (156gn Oryx) for boar successfully, but Mike Eveleigh of BASC has told me he has a boar skull with a divot on it, the divot was made by a .243 and the .243 did not kill the boar.

Defra are looking at the boar/calibre conundrum again at the moment and are seriously considering moving up their recommendation from .270 to a .308 with a 160gn bullet as a minimum.

ft

That sounds just like DEFRA.

Moving UP to a slower bullet with less muzzle energy!

Having hunted boar a few years back...okay, about ten years ago...I think the comment about bullet construction is key.

Yes, boar can be hard to bring down, especially the bigger, heavily armored ones (had to use a "come-along" to get the hide off of one black russian boar once due to all the "armor" that grows across the back/whithers).

That being said, a poor shot with a flimsy/fragible bullet will result in the same outcome, regardless of the caliber.

My first boar was taken with a .223/5.56mm (I know, not an ideal caliber) at 50yds on the run, with government ammo in an M-4 (don't ask, long story). :(

Needless to say, the turd dropped, or skidded to be more accurate, when the shot connected. Lucky shot? Maybe. The bullet went into the neck, broke the spine, then tumbled out the other side, taking one jugular with it (God what a mess, blood spraying/spurting every where!). The bullet was a Light AP variety with a steel rod down the core, and a steel cap/point on top. BTW, the boar still was pretty tasty... ^_^

So, I'd say the 25-06 could do the job, but you'd need a bullet constructed for penetration (like a Barnes "O" design). At any rate, with boar there's never a cut and dried answer. Pick you shot carefully (most important), because there is very little (if any) time for a second shot (whether it be the boar running away, or heading towards you, looking for pay back).

JMTCW...

Archived