BORDER STALKERS TRAINING DAY AUGUST 19th 2007.

The BORDER STALKERS TRAINING DAY.[ AUGUST 19th.]

The Shoot was held at Bowscar, Cumbria under cold, windy, damp conditions.

Even so some fine scores were presented with Ray. Barnes of Barrow sweeping the field with a perfect 120/120, [30+90.]

Ray took the Open Corney Cup, the NW Hubertus Shield and the Ray. Barnes Cup for using a standard sporter.

Results of leading 5 competitors :-

1, Ray Barnes 120 [30+90]

2, stag1933 119 [30+89]

3, Spiderman 119 [29+90]

4, Ratwhiskers 118 [30+88]

5,John Threlkeld 117 [27+90]

First in the pool shoot was K Gager, 2nd Ratty and 3rd Spider.

The free raffle for a bottle of Scotch was won by Spider.

HWH.

Isn't using HB rifles on a stalkers training day shoot considered cheating just a little bit?

Looks as if Ray knows a thing or 2 about what's what and the need for or not of HB's

Would of been great to see some more of the lads from the website there .

Bowscar on a pissy wet sunday is a hell of a drag for some of us Spider. Its a long haul for some even with out the pissy weather.

Plus I can't see it advertised on the site anywhere , or am I looking in the wrong places?

Hi Hoot.

Rifles are a personal choice.

For many years I used a HB Tikka Continental .22/250 in Ireland for Deer.

I lugged it over moor and mountain, it was my choice.

I have sat up Hi-seats with a HB Varminter .308 for Roe and Munties in England, again my choice.

I have won quite a few Stalkers shoots over the years with standard weight sporters usually my work tool.

Whatever rifle is used the shooter still has to direct the bullet.

You could argue that home-loads are cheating because in most cases an experienced operator can suit a load to his particular rifle.

You could argue that a .308 has an unfair advantage over a .243 because it makes a bigger hole. Is this cheating ?

I could argue that because I am only partially sighted and an ancient old fart that the young Bucks have an unfair advantage over me.

Most regulars know our shoot dates and tell their friends but I did refer to todays shoot on one of the sites recently.

Next years shoots are:-

Spring Shoot APRIL 20th.

SummerShoot JUNE 15th.

Autumn Shoot AUGUST 17th.

I will be 75 then and hope to still be able to see the reticle centre.

PS. Spiderman won this Cup on August 21st 2005 when Ray first donated it with 119 [29+90]

The overall event that day was won by Alan Edwards with 120 [30+90]

I could argue that because I am only partially sighted and an ancient old fart that the young Bucks have an unfair advantage over me.

You second place would be ample demonstration of that not being the case. ;)

It should make them wonder what you would be capable of if you weren't "partially sighted and an ancient old fart".

Congrats anyway.

Thanks Hoot.

I have had my days in the past and have many happy memories of rutting, shooting,stalking etc.

It is better to be a `has been` than a `never been`.

I would like to thank our generous Sponsors, Mr.Robert Hasell-McCosh [a days Red stalking] and Northallerton Shooting Supplies for kindly donating prizes.

Thanks also to Ratty and Ratwife for running the pool shoot also Zaitsev for being Range Officer.

HWH.

Stag.

As Spiderman says... Many thanks for yet another fun day out for the boys, long may they go on!!!

Ziatsev left my place about half an hour ago to return to sunny Brum' for his sins.

Regarding the pool shoot, l got chased this year...the Ratwife won't let me near the bookings anymore...says l need the practice on the range more, so who am l to argue. You'd better put Alec's name in the frame as well for helping to set up the range before Z', the Ratwife and l got there.

Thanks again mate!!

Ratwhiskers.

Archived