session on crows ruined

bob64

out saturday on crows with the 17hmr ,loaded mag 5 rounds 3shots 3 crow great

15mins wait 2 more came in chambered round ,click nothing

recycled bolt case ejected no bullet tip , tip in barrel could get the flaming thing out, no rod with me,

had to pack it in,i,ll make sure the next time out i,ll have a rod with me .

this is the first time i,ve had misfire with the hmr any once else with the hmr with the tip in the bore,

dont know what might have happened if i had chambered another round does not bare thinking

about.

bob64

well bob64 this is where experience pays off i know one lad that homeloaded for his 357 leaver action and the same hapend to him but he didnt have the sense to check the barrel so you can guess what hapend next,fortunatley he was ok but the gun was not ,my father uses a 17hmr and has experienced a couple of missfires but hasnt had a round stuck in the barrel at least you came out ok

At one of the Pistol AD meets years ago at Bisley, one of the exhibitors had on display a cut away revolver with 6 bullets stacked up the barrel.

It seems that the owner had forgot to charge each case with powder and fired off all 6 chambers not realising anything untoward ;) ;) :P

There was enough pressure to drive each bullet up the barrel and nudge each previous bullet up a bit further.

Had there been one case with a charge of powder the results would have been disasterous :P

Ian.

Bob64,

Not sure about this as an explanation but if the barrel was badly fouled then maybe it was enough to hold onto the bullet as redfox has said. Only I was a bit lazy a while back and hadn't cleaned my rifle for a bit. When I did get around to it noticed there was more effort required to pass patches and the brush initially, then back to normal.

Those .17's are probably a bit of work to clean, but it's worth the effort or maybe it was just a badly put together round .Either way as the others mentioned you were lucky you checked. .

Dave

Archived