case neck turning tactics?

TonyH

I'm processing a batch of old 22-250 fired in my previous rifle some years ago, and cannot decide on my next step. I could just full-length size it all down, fireform, then do the clever stuff; but I'm trying to get a few things right in advance and reduce the number of cases I'll have to reject later on - plus trying to reduce the amount/degree of fireforming.

I now have around 70 cases that are very close in length & weight, all run through a Lee Collett neck-sizing die, necks subjected to the K&M Expandiron; on setting up the cutter head on my K&M tool, though, i find significant variations in case neck thickness. ISTM I have two options:

1. Set my cutter to remove significant amounts of brass to chop them all down to a thickness that will be uniform but which will not give a really close chamber fit - they'd all be down to around .248 and I'd then be using the .246 bushing in my Redding die.

2. Stop trying to turn the necks now, fireform, then turn, in the hope that some of the uneven-ness will smooth out...

Any suggestions?

Thanks, TonyH

Tony,

I'd add a third option - ditch them and get some new brass, certainly before you consider turning necks.

I don't see you getting value from your time and effort neck-turning old cases that have been fired in something else - you don't say how many times, but the implication is more than once or twice? If nothing else, the necks will have work-hardened to varying degrees.

Unfortunately you can't get Lapua .22-250 and Norma is like hen's teeth, so it's usually American or nothing. In your shoes I'd buy a couple of hundred Winchester cases and measure / batch them. So far as neck-turning is concerned, I'd only consider it if the rifle has been chambered with at the very least a minimum SAAMI / CIP dimensioned chamber. In your average factory version, neck-turning doesn't do much for accuracy. However, you may be loading for a tightly chambered custom rifle - you don't say - if so, go ahead.

The one case-prepping job I'd always recommend for US brass is to ream / deburr the flash-hole. They're punched through, not drilled and this usually leaves randomly sized and shaped brass spikes sticking into the bottom of the case interior which can affect charge ignition causing variations in pressures and MVs between cartridges.

Laurie

Tony,

I am using Nosler Custom brass in my 22-250 improved, its the best of yank stuff as it has been weight sorted, flashole deburred and inside neck chamfered from the factory. its actuallu better then the last batch of Norma brass i bought.

If you are going to neck turn you must do it before fireforming because unless you can neck size all the way to the neck/shoulder junction you wont be able to turn the whole length.

I do believe that Redding Comp bushing dies only size the first two thirds of the neck making full neck turning impossible.

Ian.

Thanks chaps. Your collective advice to buy new brass makes sense and is not entirely unexpected, it's just that I still have so much 22-250 brass from 10+ years ago I'm reluctant to waste it... I could have bought some new Norma from someone here, but I was too slow off the mark! And yes, I know Nosler brass has a good rep in the States, but when I asked Reloading Solutions yesterday they said they get it only to special order. Though I used only Norma in .222 many years ago, generally i've used WW brass and found it perfectly OK, so will probably follow Laurie's advice and get more of that, if I can. Yes, I've always deburred flash-holes, reamed primer pockets...

I think the Redding Comp die is adjustable for whatever proportion of the neck one desires to size.

Laurie, I hear what you say about the value or otherwise of case-neck turning, but my last Rem 700VS was a very accurate rifle and I've bought exactly the same model - which AFAICS so far has a pretty tight chamber. I want to give it the best chance to show what it can do, hence the turned necks...

I'll use my old brass for load development but will look for some new brass.

Thanks, much appreciated - Tony

Archived