Land checks and the police.

foxwhistler

I have posted this on other forums and would just like to hear people`s experiances.

In the HO firearms handbook they quote this.

13.13 When land inspections are required,

the knowledge of local shooters, stalkers,

gamekeepers etc. may be drawn upon. This is

particularly important in cases of doubt.

Decisions to refuse approval on public safety

grounds should not be based on the

assessment of a police officer with little or

no experience in such matters and the views

of those experienced in the field use of

firearms should be sought before final

decisions are made.

I was just wondering if any member`s have ever been asked, or known anyone who has been asked for advice by the police on land suitability.?

yep, ive been asked by the police when they done an application for sombody to shoot on my ground, i didnt know them from adam resulting in not beeing passed

cheeky gits

• 2 weeks later...

When I was asked originally years ago, I politely explained how land checks are a waste of time. Pointing out how no land is inherently 'safe' or 'unsafe' and it all comes down to the person behind the trigger etc etc.

Never been asked and dont expect to either.

I have in the past walked away from 30 acres or so of rabbiting when I went for a look round and found a village on two sides and two major roads on the other two, ground was a flat as a pancake. If I was an FEO looking at that I would say no way.

A O/S map with an application often helps and sometimes saves inspections if the FEO can see plenty of conture lines and no footpaths. In my early firearm days I never had any land inspected, ever, I just enclosed the map so that they could see for themselves.

A

When I first applied for my firearms certificate, I had to give written permission from landowners along with my application. My FLO then went to visit each farm and walked the land to survey it. (he wasnt so keen when he realised I had over 20,000 acres of permission!!!)

When my certificate arrived, I had a map of each farm with shaded in areas of where I was and wasn't allowed to shoot with Centrefire and rimfire.

This process has been the same with all new applicants in my area in the last few years, with all land having to be cleared by the flo (unless it has allready been cleared), an open licence is not granted on first appication, (I had to wait 5 years for my renewal to get an open license), and all applicants applying for their first CF rifle have had to be mentored by an FAC holder for the first 6 months, or/and attended a basic rifle safety course.

Looks like my local police force ar making up some of their own rules

oh, and I was told the other day that I HAD to fit an alarm system in my house because I have more than 6 guns........

Jinks

oh, and I was told the other day that I HAD to fit an alarm system in my house because I have more than 6 guns........

Jinks

Well if they would like to pay for it, why not :rolleyes::)

I'm waiting for the same response as i have aquired another 2 shotguns, along with the cabinet putting mine up to 8........ :lol:

Well if they would like to pay for it, why not :rolleyes::)

I'm waiting for the same response as i have aquired another 2 shotguns, along with the cabinet putting mine up to 8........ :lol:

Have a look in B&Q, Focus etc etc for a 'shed alarm'. They are about £5 each and just put it in your cabinet. Police seem more than happy with it :lol:

[quote name='Jinks' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:37 PM' post='67606'

This process has been the same with all new applicants in my area in the last few years, with all land having to be cleared by the flo (unless it has allready been cleared), an open licence is not granted on first appication, (I had to wait 5 years for my renewal to get an open license), and all applicants applying for their first CF rifle have had to be mentored by an FAC holder for the first 6 months, or/and attended a basic rifle safety course.

Looks like my local police force ar making up some of their own rules

Jinks

Which force is that jinks?

In my experience they just come out and say some really daft things - can shoot here, can't shoot there, whatever. One place I got checked I shoot where they said not to and ignored where they said I could. Where they said I could shoot was just plain stupid and the safest part of the ground supposedly couldn't be shot from. I could shoot up from the valley bottom but couldn't shoot down into it because of a footpath running along the top. To sum it up I could shoot AT the footpath and sky, but not away from it? :)

Archived